Followers 0
Oksman

OPORD: Operation Crazy Horse II

ShietSon   18 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend? 16-08-14

• Yes
    • No, I've posted an LOA
    • Maybe, I have messaged by Squad Leader

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

OPERATION ORDER

MAP: S.E.A

OPORD: Crazy Horse II

Terrain: Jungles, Hills, Villages

Weather: Clear / No Fog

Forecast: Clear / No Fog

Starting Time: 0910

Starting Loaction: SF Camp Oscar

==============================================================================

1. SITUATION

A. ENEMY FORCES

Strength:

Estimated strength of about two companies.

Air Defense:

Intelligence suggests Anti-Air assets only stretch as far as Heavy Machineguns

Composition:

North Vietnamese Army forces from the Ho Chi Mihn trail managed to insert a small military presence in the region. The Majority of forces in the region however consists out of Vietcong guerrillas.

B. FRIENDLY FORCES

• The Navy & Air Force assets has been deployed to Combat Base Tango.
    • Troops from the Mike Force Recon recently arrived to SF Camp Oscar to assist in perimeter watch. Friendly forces observe the eastern approach.

2. EXECUTION

A. Objective Overview:

Mission Intent:
      Reduce effectiveness of Vietcong resistance in the region.

This will be achieved by:
      Destroying munitions & equipment in the field. Seek and Destroy

Primary Task:
      Task Sierra - Secure 'Landing Zone Cindy'
      Task Oscar - Secure 'Landing Zone Jill'
      Task Bravo - Secure 'Landing Zone Louise'

Secondary Task (AAC):
      Task Uniform - Recon 'Landing Zone Jill'
      Task Hotel - Recon 'Landing Zone Louise'
      Task Papa - Keep Platoon supplied with equipment

B. Detailed Objective:

camposcar_zps4c435c01.jpg

SF Camp Oscar: If perimeter is attacked. Our Platoon is tasked with the south-west, west and north-west sectors of Camp. Troops from Mike Force Recon are currently deployed on the eastern side of Camp Oscar.

If the Camp comes under fire from Indirect munitions, these bunkers are now assigned to different elements of the Platoon. If there's no room inside one of the bunkers the soldier must relocate to another bunker. Bunker #4 will have the most amount of room available.

Directly after indirect fire all elements must stand-to and deploy along the perimeter to watch for probing attacks and suspicious movement in the Jungle.

Phase 1:
      1. Platoon stationed at Camp Oscar will maintain perimeter until AAC arrives

2. Platoon will repel any attackers at Camp Oscar and maintain security

3. Once AAC arrives at Camp Oscar, the Platoon will prepare for insertion.

picLZcindy_zps6c134c35.jpg

Phase 2:

1. Platoon inserts in force at Landing Zone 'Cindy' and secures the perimeter.

2. Platoon will patrol towards the target area in search for enemy resistance

3. Once resistance is found, Platoon will seek and destroy VC Camps.

4. After completion of Seek and Destroy the Platoon will extract at LZ Cindy.

picLZjill_zpsff34cbc1.jpg

Phase 3:

[*]Platoon inserts in force at Landing Zone 'Jill' and secures the perimeter.

[*]Platoon patrols towards target area and the village of 'Phang Ra'.

[*]Platoon seeks and destroy munitions and equipment.

[*]After completion of Seek and Destroy the Platooon will extract at LZ Jill.

phase4_zpsa1dad15a.jpg

Phase 4:

[*]Platoon inserts in force at Landing Zone 'Louise' and secures the perimeter.

[*]Platoon will head towards the village of 'Vihn Hy' and destroy it's garrison.

[*]Platoon will secure any equipment left in the village and destroy the village itself.

[*]Platoon will extract at LZ Louise back to Camp Oscar for Debrief.

===============================================================================

Intelligence Photography

Pictures below may describe the specified zones however could be outdated as the situation changes constantly.

lzcindy_zpsf08458d1.jpg

lzjill_zps0c9be28f.jpg

vihnhy_zps60358bae.jpg

A. Coordinating Instructions.

Radio Frequency (Platoon net, Support net):

Platoon Net - 036.625 CH1

Air Support Net - 040.275 CH2

1st Squad Net - CH1 (PRC343)

2nd Squad Net - CH2 (PRC343)

B. Material and Supply

AAC Assets:

1x AH-1G

2x UH-1C

1x OH-6A

2x UH-1D

2x CH-47

2x A-1J

4x F100

2x Support Vehicles (Rearm, Refuel, Repair)

Signed Gunnery Sergeant Oksman

NeKoArroW, Chipmonk and Filth like this

The Tet Offensive

Tet_Offensive_1968.jpg

The Tet Offensive was launched by the Vietcong during the Tet ceasefire. Vietcong forces swept in over the Airfield at Combat Base Tango and sabotaged large parts of the Navy and Airforce assets. Aerial assets has been reduced to a limited amount of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

The Company is now mustering to search and destroy during Operation Crazy Horse II

Another classic 'Nam chaos fest.

The HOT LZ was very la Drang style. Liked that :-)

Everyone seemed to work really well together and the CCP system seemed to work better.

Running out of superlatives for this rotation.

Nice one Oksman. Nice one guys.

Chipmonk likes this

Enjoyed this weeks mission I like jungle CQB its pretty hard and some of the ambushes were setup pretty well. Mission design was unique its not very often that we move around the map by extracting and re-inserting a few times. Fired lots of rounds not sure if I hit much but I had fun laying down fire. Slight improvement would be to place the respawn marker at the location we're going to get collected as me and baron waited at the FOB for a while before working out that we had to teleport to the airbase.

Overall enjoyed the feeling like we were surrounded and I am looking forward to playing the final objectives that we didn't manage to do this week.

2014-08-16_00001.jpg

Pilgrim and Chipmonk like this

Liked the concept. Interesting locations, some variation in objectives and very cunning enemies.

Lack of planning with AAC was obviously very unfortunate, however wasn't felt very much on the ground. CAS was well timed. Resupply also arrived right on time.

Good mission, thanks!

Struggle, Baron, Chipmonk and 1 other like this

Building on what we mentioned in the debrief, points of importance:

Airstrikes ineffective - After being caught off-guard by a counter-attack on HLS Cindy, a number of airstrikes were carried out on the western treeline, which were either off target or ineffective. Entirely the fault of Air Corps, and it was rectified shortly after.

Air Corps improperly equipped - Pilots were not provided with maps at the beginning of the mission, rather an important asset. They were rudely advised to 'fuck off' or 'deal with it' or 'not my template' by Platoon elements.

Air Corps not briefed - No member of AAC, neither its 2IC present, Struggle, or FAC were invited to the council chambers for briefing prior to the mission start. No briefing was given to AAC before setting off when the mission began either. Simple things like numbers, what airframes are requested of us, any change in SOPs that would affect AAC, etc. were not present. Squad leaders get a briefing, AAC also requires this. Indeed, during the debriefing, platoon admitted forgetting about AAC, due to the absence of its 1IC. This is entirely incongruous with the running of a coherent platoon, and rather insulting to the forgotten elements in the sky.

The result of this was a shambolic start to the mission, with AAC scrabbling to establish exactly what was needed of them. Example being the numbers issue: a single Huey proved sufficient to transport platoon, though AAC was given no indication of this, thus we took 2 Hueys at the beginning as a precaution, leaving us without CAS.

Asking for CAS - GOL is a light, and at present, understrength rifle platoon. Fixed and Rotary Wing Air is thus the primary means of delivering heavy support to the battlefield. Asking for CAS should be second nature for such a platoon. However, when in game, the reality is that FAC must personally ask that CAS be used in a situation that clearly requires it, rather than it be requested of FAC. Had I not personally asked for CAS both in this mission and previous missions, then AAC would find itself almost entirely without tasking.

Understrength AAC - We had a total of 1 pilot, 1 FAC and an FAC standing in as a pilot. This left something of a gap in our capabilities. This issue was known to us before hand, and was brought up to platoon. This was met with what might be called indifference.

Danger Close - 1-2 sustained light casualties from a napalm strike south of the enemy camp (obj. phase 2). The result of a keypad error on my part, strike was intended to be 33 metres further south, to hit enemy in the treeline and mask platoon retreat. Apologies.

Struggle, Chipmonk and NeKoArroW like this

I enjoyed this mission, we didn't get through the objectives but it was pretty much combat or CASEVAC all the time so there wasn't much moving about due to that.

1-2 Behaved fairly nice, fun yet a li'l terrifying leading on this map (atleast at my unexperienced level) while Guzzen was away.

I found it to be very little downtime on this mission, AR's kept running out of ammo which is a bit of a nuisance, idk if this due to the map or itchy trigger fingers.

Not a shit ton of enemies but the amount we got thrown at us was enough to keep us on our toes and the accuracy was imo very good for this kind of map, I'm not saying perfect but if any tweaks are neccessary, only minor ones would be applicable.

Those bunkers were hard to spot really, well placed and nasty enemies awaiting our approach. Good job on the mission.

Chipmonk likes this

I found it to be very little downtime on this mission, AR's kept running out of ammo which is a bit of a nuisance, idk if this due to the map or itchy trigger fingers.

I'm not saying perfect but if any tweaks are neccessary, only minor ones would be applicable.

Always something ain't it

Another excellent mission in this campain.

Very good placement of fortifications and static units around the river, though I believe that the counter attacks at both LZ's was a bit overkill. both Comms and teamwork between the squads was very good even though we did sort of get separated from time to time.

I am still a bit confused about the first HLS, 1-2 got the orders to get in the first helicopter and 1-1 and 1-actual would take the second heli, but then we got in to one because AAC denied that somehow, because of this you would think that there would be a cas-plane in the air to provide cas when we needed it when we did the cas-evac, yet there was no cas on LZ Cindy until everyone reinserted.

Ash I do not blame you for almost burning 1-2 alive, I just go inserted so I did not even know about a possible airstrike on the way, however Chris did call it out that 1-2 had to move away from our location (south side of the camp), and we had no more then 10 seconds to react, at the same time we had a tier 2 with broken legs which made it impossible for us to move that quick. I tried to called it off but for some reason it got ignored or not relayed in time.

In other words this only happened because of bad communication specifically with the time before the bombs was delivered.

It is my template, I do not know if Oksman modify it or not but it does not matter, if there is a problem with any template in any way, we need to somehow try to fix it, I dont know what everyone in AAC did next to oksman / chris instead of creating a solution for it

I dropped multiple maps in front of the box just for AAC to pick them up, but it got for some reason again it ignored.

The AI in this mission I think was good (accuracy) as it is right now, only problem with the AI is their weapons since at least I can not hear the unsung weapons if I am more then 30m form the shooter, which makes you rely heavily on all the tracers.

The solution to this would be to only use arma 2/ ace weapons and ignore all the cool unsung smg's and rifles, even though they might be a good balance with calibers, but without the sounds it makes it very hard.

I am still a bit confused about the first HLS, 1-2 got the orders to get in the first helicopter and 1-1 and 1-actual would take the second heli, but then we got in to one because AAC denied that somehow, because of this you would think that there would be a cas-plane in the air to provide cas when we needed it when we did the cas-evac, yet there was no cas on LZ Cindy until everyone reinserted.

I might not have been clear - as AAC was not informed as to the numbers requiring extract we had no choice but to take 2 helicopters with transport capabilities. In order to try and solve the lack of CAS issue, we opted for 1 UH-1 'Slick' (equipped only with door machine guns) and 1 UH-1 Gunship (equipped with rocket pods and minigun) , not enough for consistent CAS, but better than nothing. Thus when platoon was picked up, 1 chopper proved sufficient, but as our hands were tied by having no solid numbers, we had to have a second chopper in the AO, leaving us with no more available pilots for dedicated CAS.

Struggle and Chipmonk like this

I loved the mission, Commanding a Platoon in the deep forests of vietnam is a bloody nightmare, I have to be on the front lines just to be able to see whats going on :D however despite the difficulty the platoon on the ground worked pretty excellent and also taking into consideration we were fewer than normal

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

About us

We enjoy playing ArmA3 in a tactical and professional way and ensuring at the same time a high level of fun is kept within the game. We use tactics and procedures from various armies and modify them to suit our own needs. This allows us to operate in the ArmA 3 platform effectively.

Social Network

Add us on social networks