NeKoArroW

The Training Ground

52 posts in this topic

So I thought of making a post of this ages ago but now when I'm fairly bored I guess I'll get to it. I've also heard alot of people use it so I might aswell put a list of things you can do on it.
This is for the map currently named CO@108 Three Crowns Training Ground.

General Things:
There are Fast Travel Flags at all outposts and Staging Posts. From Windstorm you can travel to all outposts but all outposts goes back to Windstorm. Some outposts have course specific fast travel flags.
Respawn Points at each outpost and Staging Post.

Spawning Stuff:
All F.O.B's, outposts and staging posts are generally empty, this is to lower the amount of performance neccessary to run the map. The object load on this map is huge if all of it is spawned, Staging Point Eternity taking the lead with about 800 objects total.
Move to an area and spawn objects, vehicles, munitions. Then once you're leaving that area, for the sake of performance, despawn stuff again.
In the vicinity of the Fast Travel flag there should be a laptop where you can spawn in stuff for this general zone (Remember to despawn them when you're done with them).
Objects (Walls, sandbags, H-barriers, structures and the like).
Munitions (Ammo boxes)
Vehicles (All vehicles preset in this area, markers on the map that imply motorized, recon, armor etc).

Zeus:
All squad leaders, team leaders, echo 1 and admin can access Zeus.

F.O.B Windstorm:
Eastern room of the Terminal, behind the Fast Travel flag:
Resupply boxes of all types.
Weather Station. Change time of day, cloud coverage, rain, fog, lightning. There are some prerequisites tho. For rain, cloud coverage atleast 0.7, (I've had some issues with the rain command tho, not always working) and Lightning requires cloud coverage of 1).
Quadbike, it respawns at this position after 1min if moved and abandoned or destroyed. (Generally used for travelling to helicopters)

South East corner of Terminal:
Some ghetto NeKo MHQ's (Hunter(MHQ1) + HEMTT(MHQ2)) that you can teleport to using the fast travel flag at Windstorm.
The shiny GOL MHQ standing next to the flag used to teleport to that specific MHQ.

Airfield:
Mobile Service Stations (2 of them).
Service Station for land vehicles and another for helicopters.
Flying MHQ's are placed along the runway, A GhostHawk (MHQ3) and a Merlin(MHQ4).
There's a tent with a table and a laptop where you can activate some flight practice actions and spawn hostiles. Details:
Spawn hostile MRAPs, LAV's, AA tanks or Planes in the AA zone (nortwestern part of Altis) randomly placed on 10 different places. (You can spawn several at a time).

Damage/destroy tail rotor randomly within 2min, destroy engine randomly within 2min. If you land safely, you can repair the helicopter.

Planes:
There's a fast travel flag to and from this section of the airfield.
You can find a service station and planes here.
Planes are spawned in on a seperate laptop found at Windstorm.

Urban Combat Course:
There's no fast travel flag here, bring an MHQ.
Northeast of F.O.B Windstorm is Telos, well known among 1-2 veterans, where you can spawn in enemy units in the town and your goal is go along the road (following directions) and fight any enemies you find along the way. This is to practice fighting along roads without clearing compounds. To spawn the enemies, you will find a laptop near the start of the route through the town.

Notes:
You can also spawn in some civilian vehicles on the Terminals parking lot.

F.O.B Cluster:
Grenade Course (inside compound).
Obstacle Course.
A service station for Air and Land vehicles.
Firing Range (Marksman qualification).
Bursts Range.
Shooting Range (NW of the base, here you get popup targets in a building you can fire at. Part of the idea is to be in sidestep + leaning by the gate of the compound, laptop is to the side of it).
Pistol Draw (Here you can practice drawing the pistol when running out of ammo on your gun(instead of reloading). The drill will start as a typical firing range, shoot popups. Sometime during the drill your gun will be emptied of ammo and you have to draw the gun to finish of the last targets).

F.O.B Almyra:.
A service station for Air and Land vehicles
Here you can find the reflex/weapon sway courses (go to the center, start drill, stay in the middle and wait for audio, turn towards it and fire one round towards the target. 40 targets will pop up).
The CQB Courses (You can spawn static enemies inside the compound using the laptop next to the course, they'll be randomly placed among predetermined locations).
Typical Arma 3 buildings where you can practice breaching.
A static weapon firing range. (You can spawn targets (I think there's 50 of 'em) that will come running straight at you from the west, put that HMG together and gun them down)
AT Course (Box nearby with AT's, if it's empty let me know. You can spawn vehicles and also moving targets using the laptop near the box).

Notes:
You can also activate flight practice actions at the laptop closest to the flag.

F.O.B Ocelot:
A service station aimed at land vehicles.
AG / AR Guiding/Spotting range. (Spotter starts the course using the laptop, he will get an audio effect and a hint for bearing and range (can be turned off), guide the AR to that position and down the target).
To the NorthWest there is a laptop where you can spawn in a wave of (can't remember, 50-100) units you can use for target practice. They will not engage you. They will despawn if they get to you.
Mine Course (This place is somewhat abandoned to be honest, some things might still work but some might not, it was never finished).

Outpost Dusty (Old Airfield):
This is a forward post for the AA Zone.
You will mainly find some helicopters here and a Service Station.

Notes:
You can also activate flight practice actions at the laptop inside the white storage building.

Staging Point Woody:
A place to practice forest combat, there are 3 seperate courses (but start of blue and red are a team effort along the road)
Start the courses by the tent. As you move along the paths AI will ambush you. Keep sectors up and use whatever cover is available. Once threat is neutralized, move on along the paths. Once you reach the end there should be an MRAP somewhere within your field of view, call it out and have the rifleman give it a shot.

Staging Point Penumbra:
This is supposed to be a bit of a vehicle patrol training. Scenario is that you're in a danger zone and chances of being ambushed are high. Other threats might also be present (mines, car bombs, road blocks). Take a vehicle, or more, select a course, move along chosen path. At the end is a flag to teleport back to Penumbra. Despawn objects at Penumbra and Spawn them again to reset vehicles and obstacles on the patrol route.

Notes: 
This has not been touched in ages, it works but how the AI behaves and if it is balanced is doubtful. Feel free to try it and give some feedback.
Make sure to "Prepare Courses" before you run it.

Staging Point Predator:
This is pretty much a lulz field, if you wanna team up with someone to have a Tank / APC / LAV battle, this is the place. Tips is to stay inside the blue box, have the "winner" on the North West side of the red line and reinserting teams come in from the South East. Tho feel free to make up your own rules.
Spawning vehicles here is a bit different, you can spawn 3 sets of vehicles, all sets are the same but you can select a different faction for each meaning you will have all Armored vehicles available to you.
There is also a service station available.

Staging Point Eternity:
Here you'll find the Vehicle Obstacle course, try driving along the marked route (blue) over obstacles and through narrow pathways with different vehicles available to you. They all have different capabilities when it comes to rough terrain.
You can also spawn targets(Footmobiles and Vehicles) for the gunners to fire at. To spawn targets, move to the laptop slightly to the South West along the road.
Two repair stations at the end of the obstacle course, to the right. 

Buddy Team Bounding Drill. Here you can practice pushing up (imagine alleys or similar) from cover to cover, staying within shout range to avoid coms chatter, one guy supress the target while the second moves. Perform short leaps, communicate (crossing line of fire, when you need to reload, don't stop having rounds flying at the target!) and once you get to the end, a bunch of popup targets will show up ~50m off ahead of you. Take them down and you're done on that course. There are 5 courses available, A,B,C,D,E.
Prepare the courses by walking to the laptop to the NorthEast, along the road. There will be resupply boxes there too.

Staging Point Kalithea:
Here you can practice boat assaults. You can spawn in enemy targets on the North side of Kalithea Bay and then take your armed boats to do a proper beach assault, blast the vehicles before they can open fire at you and take out as many targets as you can, then clean out the compounds on the other side.
You can prepare the enemies by spawning vehicles and units by the laptop next to the building.

NEXT UPDATE:
Currently known Issues/Bugs:

Additions:

Changes:

Tweaks:

FUTURE UPDATE:
Plans:

Remake Courses that spawns AI to the new function which will spawn them on HC if present.
Finish the Mine Course. (Make sure things work, tweak and add Car Bombs).

Requests:

Edited by NeKoArroW
R4IDER, Filth, PARKER and 1 other like this

I love this thing. I tried something similar but much smaller in scope for the AAC way back when but it was simply too much work. Good job on this Neko I hate to imagine how long this took you to make. Big thanks from the training obsessed airhead.

I have 1 request for the budding pilots of the clan, the ability to spawn OPFOR fast air for AI dogfighting practice.

I love this thing. I tried something similar but much smaller in scope for the AAC way back when but it was simply too much work. Good job on this Neko I hate to imagine how long this took you to make. Big thanks from the training obsessed airhead.

I have 1 request for the budding pilots of the clan, the ability to spawn OPFOR fast air for AI dogfighting practice.

Thank you, glad you like it.

Alright, that should be possible. I'll have to consider how to implement this, would you prefer this to be around the AA zone or outside of it?
How many would you like to be able to spawn? (one at a time and if you repeat it, it will spawn another one)
Do you want to be able to spawn non-hostile targets?
Do you want them to prepped for AA (Independent fliers are the only ones with two different fast movers tho)

Should I send them on an Engage At Will, Search and Destroy mission?
What skill set on the units should I aim for?
Be aware these units will likely not be HC units for now.

Also, pending testing from AAC, a reworked version of the Service Station is implemented on the training ground.

Patch Notes:
Additions:
Added NEKY_Settings.sqf for easier management of settings.
You can now have multiple vehicles inside a service station (including Mobile SS!)

Changes:
"ServiceStationOTM" is now called "Mobile SS" (Mobile Service Station).
No need for a trigger anymore, code is put in to the init line of an object instead (example: helipad)
Hints will now show up if the one who initiated the service is within 15m of the center of the vehicle or to anyone in the driver seat of the vehicle.
The MSS now works very well for land and air vehicles, just copy paste the code from an existing MSS box and paste it in the init line of a vehicle.
Fancier lights.

Tweaks:
More reliable addactions on vehicles.
Multiple performance and code improvements resulting in a more responsive station.

Notes:
I can split the options for Mobile SS and SS more if requested, it's alot of work for, currently, little use so I'm not spending more time on it.
Each service station can still only service one vehicle at a time(Limited on purpose) but you can have several vehicles with the actions.
On this map, the size of the service stations scanner may vary depending on where you are. For example, F.O.B Windstorm air vehicle service station scanner is 10m in size.

Edited by NeKoArroW
Filth likes this

Alright, that should be possible. I'll have to consider how to implement this, would you prefer this to be around the AA zone or outside of it?

I would say inside the AA zone, more of a combat exercise that way. Since the AA stuff is optional it can be as difficult as the pilot wishes.

How many would you like to be able to spawn? (one at a time and if you repeat it, it will spawn another one)

One at a time and repeatable should do quite nicely. Means we can spawn as many or as few as we need.

Do you want to be able to spawn non-hostile targets

This would be no. No point to it if we're practicing dogfighting.

Do you want them to prepped for AA  

Yes would be better due to the nature of the exercise. The flanker and hornet from the mod packs can also be configured for AA via scripting if memory serves.

Should I send them on an Engage At Will, Search and Destroy mission?
What skill set on the units should I aim for

For these I would say Search and Destroy to make them hunt for us. As for skill I'm not too sure, as close to operational AI difficulty as possible I guess to maintain training relevance.

Obviously these are just my ideas, I'm sure the others might have their own take on this.

NeKoArroW likes this

Roger that, I'll mold it to something that'll fit everyone in the end by given feedback.
The one thing that worries me a little is that they might divert off the AA zone and shoot footmobiles. But, odds are this wont be done at the same time as other ground elements are about and even if so, it'll have to be looked at.

I'll look in to it after this upcoming update, I'll keep it on my list. Bump me if I get lazy. ;)

Jason likes this

This is why 1-2 kick bwatty more than 1-1! 8-)

Best thing since sliced bread, hell im gonna go as far to say unsliced too!

Bloody good show old chap...

NeKoArroW and Beny like this

UPDATE APPLIED 31/12-15:
Additions:
FOB Almyra: A new building added to the CQB structures.

Changes:
FOB Cluster: Moved ammo boxes back to original position by the Firing Range.
FOB Cluster: Added ammo boxes by the bursts range.
FOB Cluster: Remade Obstacle Course (there are now 2 identical). Full speed, no targets.
FOB Almyra/Windstorm: CQB Basics has been moved from Windstorm to Almyra. It can be found among the buildings on the east side.
FOB Almyra: Remade CQB Course #1 (40 AI will spawn among 84 random positions) (About 130 objects excl. course boundary walls)  
FOB Almyra: Remade CQB Course #2 (30 AI will spawn among 48 random positions) (about 150 objects excl. course boundary walls)  
FOB Almyra: Added static weapons to the statics range. (Split among 4 boxes. HMG/GMG/AT & AA/Mortar) 
Spawning practice targets for static weapons will now spawn 25 enemies instead of 15 (non-combatant)

FOB Almyra: AT course has been moved to the northern side of Almyra (Also slightly remade).
Replaced lousy directional arrows for proper lines on the map. (Woody and Telos). 
Despawning vehicles doesn't remove vehicles currently being operated by any unit.

Tweaks:
CQB Courses in Almyra now spawn units to HC if present. (Thanks for the assist Guzzen)
Objects in Almyra now spawn in a little faster.

Fixes:
FOB Cluster: No longer spawns a passive soldier on the side of the road next to the firing range.

NOTE:
The update might not be applied before a server restart, the server was busy when I uploaded it so I could not restart the dedi.

Edited by NeKoArroW
Beny and PARKER like this

UPDATE:
Fixes:
FOB Almyra: Respawns has been moved a little. Also added a couple of containers IF you'd end up there anyway, so you can get down safely.

Additions:
Dusty/Almyra/Windstorm: AI Dogfighting -- Requested by Jason.

Changes:
Ground targets at the AA zone now supports HC and will be spawned using Flight Practice Actions (Meaning you can spawn them while in flight).
Flight Practice Actions now supports repairing all of the vehicle, refueling and rearming.

Tweaks:
FOB Cluster: Added a concrete wall at the Marksman quali (towards the left) -- Requested by Filthy 
FOB Almyra: Lowered CQB Course 1 AI count from 40 to 35.

Notes regarding the AI Dogfighting:
To do this, walk up to the specific laptops and select "Unlock Flight Practice Actions".

Then turn around or walk away from the laptop because the actions adds to your person.
To repair/refuel/rearm just scroll and select the action.
To spawn a vehicle in the AA Zone, select one of the actions and click, after that, scroll to the bottom and select NATO, CSAT or AAF to select which side you want them on.
To remove the actions on your person you can either respawn or walk up to one of the designated laptops and select "Lock Flight Practice Actions".
I'd recommend you don't spam the spawning actions, give them a couple of seconds to breathe.
The actions are put at the bottom of the scroll list to avoid having it interfering with any other actions.
The AI will be around for 15minutes unless killed and then despawn.

AAC please provide feedback regarding the addactions, the spawning and how the skill level of the AI is. It is currently at 0.5 and can easily be changed for future updates.

Edited by NeKoArroW
PARKER, ThecMaster, Jason and 4 others like this

I just implemented an updated version of the new Service Station script to the Training Ground.

Fixes:
Mobile SS required a regular SS to be present to work, no longer the case.
Service text messages was not transmitted to the driver, it was sent to the owner of the vehicle. Driver should now get it.
Locality issue: Could not rearm a vehicle unless its turrets were local to the one servicing the vehicle.

Thanks to Guzzen for helping me test stuff.

PARKER likes this

Not much of a priority, but if you can spare the time, could you please fix the weapons crates at the rifle ranges near FOB Cluster? They are currently empty because of missing addons, I suspect.

Yeah, I'm affraid it's just one of the many issues related to the recent addon and v1.60 changes. Good thing is that I got plenty of free time now, so I'll start working on these issues ASAP.

Filth likes this

Me and SoKkada tested most of the features. We focused on the NATO faction and infantry stuff, so AAC may want to do their own test. Here's what we found:

General

1-A does not have access to Zeus

Laptop actions don't show up if you JIP (a bit random, needs some more testing)

/********************************************/

Windstorm

MHQ helis are marked as MHQ 3 & MHQ 4 at the flagpole, but when you approach them, the hint says the are MHQ 5 & 6

Cluster

No grenades in the boxes

Targets are not swaying at the obstacle course (two sets of targets)

Empty weapon box at the marksman qualification

Empty weapon box at the burst range

Almyra

No luncher crates and static vehicles spawn at the AT range

Penumbra

Add some static AI, have the ambushes pop up earlier (some of them)

Eternity

Actions to spawn VR targets and Obstacle course targets should be merged to one (or made distinct)

Some of the units get glitched when spawned in and go unconcious

Kalithia

VR CSAT units don't spawn (NATO and AAF do)

Speedboats can't deploy smoke

Features to implement

Check if units get spawned through the GOL function

Finish the Mine course

The underscored items are high priority. They should not be hard to fix, so I'll have a look myself.

I hope that @Jason will help me with the others, some of them require scripting knowlage that I lack I'm afraid.

PARKER likes this

I'll help out as much as I'm able, got a few different things on my plate at present so it may take me a bit of time to get to it.

Hopefully I'll have the CUP repair stuff finished in the next week or so then I can focus back on this.

Beny likes this

Great, none of the stuff is gamebreaking except for the underlined stuff which I'll (hopefully) fix myself.

Got some feedback from Neko:

I = Issue.
A = Answer.

GENERAL:
I. 1-A Does not have access to Zeus.
A. Sounds about right, there was never any sign of this being used on a platoon level hence it was not added. Add a zeus module (the current ones are by F.O.B Windstorm, NE corner of the airport) for platoon element (FAC + 1-A probably doesn't have Zeus.

I. Laptop Actions are not JIP.
A. Confirmed, it can be a bit random. Whoever JIPs will have default addactions. I have no easy/quick fix for this, it is a known issue since way back.

I. Missing Grenades, Launchers and Weapons in boxes.
A. Updated template is the reason. In Missionfolder\Gear\fn_GearCargo.sqf paste the content of the following link underneath the "bigbox" case. http://pastebin.com/gxVXxyG5
NOTE: This code is for the mods used when I was still in GOL, you may need to correct these (add/remove) according to current mod set.

WINDSTORM:

I. Windstorm, MHQ 5-6.
A. Confirmed. There's an addaction code in the init line of the vehicle. Open the editor, double click the vehicle and change the "5" and/or "6" to the number assigned to the helicopters name. (This is a miss since 2 MHQ's were removed ages ago)

CLUSTER:
I. Targets are not swaying.
A. I presume 'pop up'. There's a laptop along the wall of the military compound (on the left of the targets along the road/H-barrier) where you can run an action called "Make targets pop back up" (IF a target is lying down you need to shoot it for it to reset). I can't remember why this was neccessary, the init runs that but it gets negated somewhere. Shitty coding on my part.

I. Penumbra, targets.
A. Yeah this needed to be refined ages a go, it was in a test stage when I left it and I meant to replace it with the GOL function (Badguys.sqf) instead of my shitty version of SpawnVR.

ETERNITY:
I. Actions for Obstacle Course Targets and VR Targets.
A. I honestly can't remember what the hell this is all about. If adjustments need to be made, go to Missionfolder\Scripts\AddActions.sqf. One only has two spawn markers, I have no idea why or what lol, figure it out for me. :)

I. Some units get glitched and go unconscious.
A. Haven't seen that, don't know what's wrong I'm afraid.

KALITHIA:
I. CSAT Units don't spawn (But NATO & AAF does)
A. Very odd, does this occur elsewhere on the map? (Woody forest patrols, NW Ocelot by the Zerging PC, Static weapons targets) (CQB Courses were upgraded to GOL Function (Badguys.sqf) so that doesn't count).

I. Speedboats can't deploy smoke.
A. This is an ancient issue that is related to the boats themselves correct? Check if it has to be the commander or driver who does it. I know this has been an issue in the past and is not related to the mission itself.

PARKER and Filth like this

Right guys, I'm getting back to this eventually.

I think (hope) that most of the issues above have already been addressed but I'll slowly be checking them over to make sure. Anyone with any feedback/issues/feature requests please either PM me or make an issue on githib:

https://github.com/jasonjoyce971/GOL_Training_Ground_2017

Anyone interested in helping out, yell out and I'll figure out how to add you as a contributor (I'm making this github stuff up as I go)

Filth and PARKER like this

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

anything at all that the squads need

Working gear for both an OPFOR and a BLUFOR faction, good performance, no stutters and squads can use this as it is. We mostly Zeus everything we need anyway.

A working firing range for the Marksmanship Qualification would be great.

1 minute ago, Filth said:

Working gear for both an OPFOR and a BLUFOR faction

Loadouts for vanilla factions should already be working, I'll have another look to make sure.

2 minutes ago, Filth said:

good performance, no stutters

Can you let me know exactly which areas cause problems? The AAC use this map and I haven't spotted anything major but then again we don't use the same stuff you guys do.

3 minutes ago, Filth said:

A working firing range for the Marksmanship Qualification would be great.

I was under the impression that this already does work. What is the error?

Keep it coming guys!!

@Filth@Jason

With the template, mission selected faction can be overwritten by the admin in lobby screen, factions available depends on the version of the template used.

Marksmanship Qualification is located by the salt lake