Lt.Chris

Mission difficulty

What do you think?   3 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple choice guys pick the ones you like the most

• Leave it as is
    • Increased difficulty with the same number of enemies
    • increased difficulty with same number of enemies
    • increased difficulty with reduced numbers of enemies
    • increased difficulty with reduced numbers of enemies and remove the scope ban

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

This one has hovered lately in my mind so figured Id ask everyone at once and gather some info while I'm at it , now we all know this will always have a factor in terms of how well the mission was made/the style of the mission maker etc so just run with what you generally think of the missions we play.

I've done this because I know threre is the people which want a more "realistic experience" when it comes to enemy deployments such as fewer enemies but in more concentrated places and they fight really well and are unforgiving to the player which forces us to be far more careful with how we play. There's also the other way where the enemy is more forgiving but to make up for the easier challenge we fight 5000000 of them 

I've put out a poll with the options I can think of when it comes to the possible main changes we can do, 

this is not a decision poll just an attempt to gather data on the clans overall feelings on this  

Abstain. No voting option suits me.

And why are we discussing abandoning scope ban?

8 minutes ago, Filth said:

Abstain. No voting option suits me.

And why are we discussing abandoning scope ban?

because its related to the "difficulty" and care to share your ideas of additional vote choices? 

plus this isn't a decision poll so contributing to the data instead of "abstaining" would be more productive

Difficulty is a matter of balance. My own recent experience shows that difficulty must be adjusted for each scenario individually depending on what you as an editor are trying to achieve. Difficulty settings may even have story and immersion implications. Meaning difficulty settings in the missions I make will always vary greatly.

In the end, I think it's the editor's choice to make his AI settings as easy/difficult, his enemies as numerous/few as he wants, taking into account the scenario he is trying to create.

The scope ban and AI settings imo are two entirely seperate topics.

Furthermore I think that suggestions with far-reaching implications like the one above should go through council. Not public forums posts.

I agree with Filth about the difficulty. There is more to the difficulty than simply changing numbers and accuracy. Terrain, OPFOR deployment patterns, OPFOR support elements will all impact the difficulty so it is better left in the editors hands.

As for the scope ban, this is a double edged sword and I am firmly on the fence. The soldier/veteran in me screams "why the hell don't we have scopes" since I had a SUSAT from the first day I arrived at my first unit. That said I also appreciate the game play view that a lot of people have. Adding even bog standard RCO style sights will increase our engagement ranges out to 300m+ which will shift the dynamic of our fighting dramatically. There is a lot of thought that needs to go into this followed by a lot of testing. If this was to be a thing I know my way around most ACOG style ladder sights for the purposes of instruction.

As an afterthought on this, could we add advanced ballistics along with the sights to make personal marksmanship skills relevant over distance? Might help mitigate the range increase and go toward increased difficulty.

Dont see how this can be enforced anyway? as we have multiple editors all with their own style/aim using a template that supports fully configurable AI difficulty and behaviour systems as well as the scenario/terrain/op style factor...what are you gonna do remove all of the above?

most definately leave as is..

Jason likes this

Its a really stupid idea to bring this idea forward now since the new framework has a complete new way of handling difficulty for ai and tweaking it

Filth likes this

Right its very clear despite this being already stated that there are other factors to the mission design which can effect diffuculty and this not being a decision poll and mearly attempting to gather some basic data a few people have gone full attack on it.

im going to lock the post but its very disapointing to see those few fly off the handle when this was just some innocent intentions to see what members generally like when to comes to the gaming experience.