R4IDER

Battle for the Falklands - Week 2

Attendance   10 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend [10/03/18]?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

Revised, Tweaked and Hopefully Fixed -- Added Objectives for AAC.

loading2.jpg

blackbuck.png

OPERATION ORDER

MAP: Malden

DATE: 10/03/18 19:00 UTC

Operation Name: Black Buck

Terrain: Small Towns, Mountains, Ridges, Open Ground

Weather: Clear (Full Moon)

Forecast: Clear (Full Moon)

Starting Time: 0000 hours

Starting Position: Sussex Mountains

===============================================================================

History:

On 31 May, the M&AWC defeated Argentine Special Forces at the skirmish at Top Malo House. A 13-strong Argentine Army Commando detachment (Captain José Vercesi's 1st Assault Section, 602nd Commando Company) found itself trapped in a small shepherd's house at Top Malo. The Argentine commandos fired from windows and doorways and then took refuge in a stream bed 200 metres (700 ft) from the burning house. Completely surrounded, they fought 19 M&AWC marines under Captain Rod Boswell for 45 minutes until, with their ammunition almost exhausted, they elected to surrender.

Briefing:

We have occupied Goose Green School and set up a FOB. Our next objective will be to secure the mountainous region that surrounds Stanley. Attacking during the day is not an option there for Operation Black Buck will be carried out at night under the light of a full moon. Technical note: Rifleman / Grenadiers have been equipped with a M16A2 and flash light for breaching unlit buildings.

The RAF will be carrying out an attack on one of Argentina flag ship destroyers 'ARA General Belgrano' while built during World War 2 this ship has been upgraded with the latest Anti-Air technology.

Infantry Task Force:

Task 1: Secure Top Malo House

Task 2: Secure Mount Kent

Task 3: Secure Mount William

Task 4: Secure Green Sector in Teal Inlet

Task 5: Secure Mount Harriet

Task 6: Secure Sapper Hill

RAF:

Task 1
: Disable / Destroy ARA General Belgrano

Task 2: Disable / Destroy ARA Granville

Task 3: Disable / Destroy ARA Santa Fe

Task 4: The Argentine Air Force has suffered mass losses over the last week however sporadic low attitude attacks are still being carried out, provide air support for the British aircraft carriers to protect them from Argentine jets - continuous!

Task 5: Support Royal Marines assault 

Ribbon:

Battle for the Falklands

ribbon.png

Requirements: 75% Attendance

Equipment:

4x Harrier GR.9J
4x AV-8J Harrier ll
4x CH-47J Troop Transport
4x Lynx

Signed Staff Sergeant R4IDER

Jason and hoofed like this

I've played through the entire mission on the server without any problems so it looks like we're all good, let the battle begin :)

Pilgrim, Jason and hoofed like this

Not a lot to say on this one that wasn't covered in the debrief. Chaotic and hectic from the outset with tonnes of aerial combat and dead Harriers.

AI fighter pilots seem to have upped their game I had one guy dodge 5 missiles which was 5/6 of my entire payload. Made the fights even more difficult than they already were. Wave size was the deciding survival factor again with waves of 3-4 fighters ensuring at least 1 friendly casualty. CAS calls were infrequent but the air to air stuff kept us more than busy between support tasks.

As I mentioned last night I did manage to capture some footage but the audio was fucked again. Still trying to fix all my settings after my last bun fight with Windows :angry: I put it together with some music though so you can at least see the action even if you can't hear it:

PARKER, Pilgrim and R4IDER like this

the missoin was lot's of fun  . 

8/10

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Not a lot to say on this one that wasn't covered in the debrief. Chaotic and hectic from the outset with tonnes of aerial combat and dead Harriers.

AI fighter pilots seem to have upped their game I had one guy dodge 5 missiles which was 5/6 of my entire payload. Made the fights even more difficult than they already were. Wave size was the deciding survival factor again with waves of 3-4 fighters ensuring at least 1 friendly casualty. CAS calls were infrequent but the air to air stuff kept us more than busy between support tasks.

As I mentioned last night I did manage to capture some footage but the audio was fucked again. Still trying to fix all my settings after my last bun fight with Windows :angry: I put it together with some music though so you can at least see the action even if you can't hear it:

1 time you had like 5 Missial's after you ent you were out of flear's":P 

R4IDER and Jason like this

Evening, Apologies for the delay in getting this feedback up...busy day! :)

Editing / Operation

A good follow on from W1, not as an exciting start but hey you can't have it all! :) The campaign scale hit home early on though with a good briefing set up (crazy amount of objectives over the whole isalnd) and hearing that AAC where going to be mostly taken up by other tasks (like annihilating the enemy navy in the area) While all of us infantry love seeing the fireworks it certainly portrays the solidarity that must be felt being infantryman (lacking ordinance and support kind of) on an island invasion, really like that about this campaign and Malden hits the spot nicely with mountenous terrain, wide open spaces, small clusters of buildings and hidden fortifications which were suprisingly difficult to see in low light/moonlight. I thought the objectives were well laid out and enemy strengths were good, very slightly overwhelming (enough to make you panic a little :) )

Malden however is buggy still, rocks were especially dangerous which is a shame as most of our strong points were based around rock formations and I assume the remainder of the campaign will also be to some extent, something to keep in mind. I got stuck inside one for about 5 minutes much to the concern (amusement) of my team and a few injuries were sustained.

I experienced a tiny bit of lag but nothing as bad as I've experienced previously and considering the amount of large assets in the field on this op I'm suprised by this, so I'm seeing this as a positive thing and would be interested to hear how @R4IDER goes about avoiding this while editing as I'm sure other editors would.

GG R4ider....the campaign is shaping up to be a classic, keep up the good work! fucking show off

Execution

So AR, wow its been a while, I have to say I was thankful to @SoKkada for stepping up and taking TL last night, I was tired so appreciated the support. I haven't played as a buddy team member for about two months now I think and I have to say I didn't think it would be such a change but it hit home that being a buddy and being a TL is such a different style of play I was a bit "ermmm" to begin. That being said though it was quite refreshing to serve under SoKkada and to see how he plays, how he handles his team etc an interesting insight for sure. To be honest I struggled not to play the TL role once I was in there and playing.

From Bravo's @madmatt@Luke@personalvoid perspective I felt we did ok, we had some good firefights supporting and being supported by Alpha but casualties were rife, this I put down to a lack of cohesion in the team. To many times did I see the whole team all wanting to get in on that recent radio call of an enemy contact and giving up their sector to try and tag that kill as there own, this has to stop as it leaves us wide open, bunches us up and is tactically suicide. Other than that a real good crack, congrats to @madmatt  for becoming a full member I get the impression he will be a valuable infantryman and I hope possibly TL'ing before long. @personalvoid also deserves a mention laying down nearly twice the amount of enemies his AR did and was on the ball medic wise throughout, thank you PV. @Luke was suprisingly in the game last night, barely AFK for very long and a valuable point man on a few occasions!

A good game and campaign op, looking forward to next week.

Luke, Raptor, madmatt and 3 others like this

Apologies from myself too for the late feedback.

Editing:

I'll second most of what @PARKER said in the above about setting and quality. Enjoying this a lot.

13 hours ago, PARKER said:

Malden however is buggy still, rocks were especially dangerous

This is not a problem particular to this map. Tall rock formations are perfect death traps on any map; the engine can't handle it. I highly recommend staying off/out of them, setting up on their sides or in key holes where available.

One thing I mentioned in the debrief I will reiterate here: Going up against enemies with high caliber rifles with low body armour gives us many T4s, where we're looking to increase the number of T2s. This is something to be considered in the future, although I understand that for authenticity's sake the Argentinians have been equipped this way.

Execution:

Squad leadership by @R4IDER was good from what I could tell. TLs could usually meet him out front, look at the terrain together and thus facilitate the decision making process overall. Bounding overwatch was employed nicely on several occasions. Positioning of the fire teams was carefully considered. This wasn't especially quick, however enabled us to overwhelm contact when we hit it. As one minor complaint, I would have liked to see squad formations used more. This could have enabled quicker comms, quicker movements and enhanced cohesion. Instead, the teams usually received independent orders.

Furthermore, R4IDER's use of proper six-liners to call in CAS deserves mention. However I'm not sure it's the best way of going about things in a situation where no FAC is available. It takes a lot of time to set up and until an impact of air support is felt for the ground elements.

And while we're on the subject, @Jason is there an SOP for three- and six-liners somewhere on the forums? I seem to have misplaced my notes.

Alpha was a capable team, with veterans @Chroma and @Pilgrim taking the lead in most situations, particularly CQB. @Wartomsniper received lots of on the job training from @unionjak in our machine gun team, which I believe had some considerable effect. One thing we need to work on is our rules of engagement. But overall working with my fire team was enjoyable and successful. We took down scores of enemies, partly in very difficult situations, without taking too many casualties ourselves.

Cooperating with @SoKkada's Bravo team was easy enough, even when he himself wasn't with his guys. Bit messy on the comms, but oh well.

AAC seemed to be busy with varied tasking in this scenario. There was a bit of I mentioned last week in the beginning, but that improved as we went. There was lots of very immediate CAS against high value targets, fortifications and counter attacks. Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as the infantry. Hoping for some more footage from the air, too.

Agreed, if this campaign continues in this fashion it will certainly be one of the great classic GOL campaigns. 8/10

PS:

More feedback, please.

Pilgrim, R4IDER, Raptor and 1 other like this

All CAS calls are detailed in the Hammer SOP. If a full 6 Liner is deemed to take too long then we do have a shortened 3 Liner that can be used also. The 6 liner is usually reserved for set piece strikes or preliminary attacks rather than immediate CAS.

Fair play to @R4IDER though for giving it a go, it's nice to do things properly every now and then.

R4IDER, Pilgrim, Filth and 1 other like this

Great campaign, great teamwork and very immersive from the beginning.

Good to see @Filth at his absolute best,  getting the best from all of us on the team. Talking of team, we had 2 well versed  alpha members @Pilgrim and @Chroma who played their socks off and @Wartomsniper getting stuck into his role as AR ...which he did very nicely indeed.

Its at times like these that i find myself overwhelmed (almost) trying to describe how much i enjoyed the mission.....It was beyond anything i have played before especially with high regard to immersion. We as a squad were, for want of a better word(or words) run into the ground by constant engagement from almost every angle...and it was fantastic. 

I am not even going to attempt some kind of summary thing, as that would be insulting. Just a big up to @R4IDER and all our admins/leaders/players for making GOL what it is.  

UJ (steve) 

Pilgrim, Filth, Raptor and 2 others like this

More of the same really. Turning into a legendary campaign. Some cinematic moments that will never be forgotten. Yomping by moonlight with SPG shells whizzing over our heads. Rock by rock fighting. It’s probably the most authentic campaign I’ve ever played.

I took a bunker with @Filth and proceeded to get shot in the facey wacey by a .50. If I’m going to die, that’s how I want it to happen.:)

The rifleman SLR and TL flares work way way better. 

Throughly enjoying being in Alpha, who are on top form. Our approach was always decisive and punchy. 

Well done @unionjak for the on the Job training. You never let up.:)

Saw some hellish flying by all of aircorps, under some right dodgy fire.

Top to bottom excellence.

gg

Filth, PARKER, R4IDER and 2 others like this