hoofed

Questions/Comments for OBS Multitrack Recording Guide

21 posts in this topic

I’ve begun work on a guide to recording Arma III in OBS with a unified audio track (for streaming/lazy editing) in addition to game, microphone, teamspeak and music recorded as isolated tracks for use in a non-linear editor like Premiere/Vegas/Shotcut etc. Part of our outreach for recruitment has been improving the recording and streaming of our missions and I believe this may help.

The guide will take the form of a video (which I will mercilessly edit to keep runtime to a minimum).

If this interests you and you have any questions or comments please post below.

Prepare to have your minds blown (if you’re getting a bit old and crusty like me).

mind_blown.gif

Jason, Filth, Raptor and 1 other like this

Good idea Hoofed, I've been using OBS with split audio for about a year now.. fully recommended! Can easily edit out all the sounds that you do not need to make a nice cinematic shot or just take away random coughs etc from your normal recording :D OBS ftw.

hoofed likes this

Very interested....though my editing has dropped off a bit recently due to work loads im always keen to see how others do it and finding a better less taxing way (cpu and mentally) so i’ll enjoy seeing this.

I recently changed my set up to address this issue by using Vb-audios virtual cable and voicemeter (https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm) along with OBS which allows me to split TS from game audio from mic audio works a treat but bit of a pain to set up so this sort of thing will be very useful for streamers/editors.

Im very keen to get our clan media alligned and in order and a bit more regular.

hoofed likes this

I use OBS for all my movies, for being free it does exactly what you need it to.

I'd be interested in splitting the audio since most of my footage gets ruined by calls of "dad, is that a bomb?". I've never tried it before so a guide would be awesome

PARKER and hoofed like this

On 09/03/2018 at 9:46 AM, PARKER said:

I recently changed my set up to address this issue by using Vb-audios virtual cable and voicemeter (https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm) along with OBS which allows me to split TS from game audio from mic audio works a treat but bit of a pain to set up so this sort of thing will be very useful for streamers/editors.

Been trying this setup this evening. I've got audio split kind of but my OBS recording frame rate has gone through the floor :angry:

Would it be evil if I just gagged the kids on a Saturday night?

PARKER and hoofed like this

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Been trying this setup this evening. I've got audio split kind of but my OBS recording frame rate has gone through the floor :angry:

The VB Audio stuff wouldn't affect your recording frame rate, I assume this issue is OBS configuration related which again is a bit of a pain to configure (usually configured either for streaming performance or quality or a balance of the two).

I'm assuming your not streaming and just recording, if that's correct you have two options either use your hardware to record it to your computer (most taxing on your CPU & GFX) or use your GFX and bandwidth to stream it to twitch or youtube who will record it for you and save you the space, the configuration for best performance on these options is again gonna be different each time. 

Happy to help Jas, could probably do with your PC specs, network speed and native screen resolution (i'll pay you good money to record in 16:9 rather than 4:3 as ARMA just looks terrible in the later and a real shame your latest vid was in this ratio (its stops me from using your vids cuz i'd have to stretch them out to 16:9) this should be easily fixable by upscaling in OBS.

hoofed likes this

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I’ll simulate recording at lower resolution with fewer cores and try to discover any bottlenecks. As Parker has said, if you’re able to post your specs that’ll help. Pressing Windows Key + Pause will bring up your system information.

PARKER likes this

Specs off the top of my head are AMD A 10 black series 3.8GHz quad core with 8GB RAM. 4GB 1050ti GFX card.

I played around some more and seem to be getting back to the settings I had before the windows fubar so I'm making some headway at least. As for resolution I'm kind of stuck. The 1050ti uses one type of DVI slot while the wide-screen monitor I have uses the other. They're incompatible so I had to go back to my old TFT monitor. Will try down scaling to 16:9 in OBS and blowing it up to 1080p in movie maker and see what that does.

I think the problem was the codec choice and bitrate settings in OBS

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

The 1050ti uses one type of DVI slot while the wide-screen monitor I have uses the other. They're incompatible so I had to go back to my old TFT monitor.

Do you not have an adaptor? like this? or have you tried that?

Image result for StarTech.com VGA adapter

Tried it. I can't remember the correct term but as far as DVI goes one can go into the other but it doesn't work the other way around. As luck would have it I need it to be the other way around. I've tried some tinterweb "tips" like removing some additional pins from an old adaptor like that but the entire frame is a different size.

I tried getting a proper adaptor from my local PC hardware place but apparently its impossible to make it work and the adaptor I would need doesn't exist. The ones I found on Amazon won't work apparently

You shouldn’t have a problem driving a 1080p monitor with a DVI to VGA converter in the mix. I used to do this with an old workstation.

Jason likes this

Like I said I'll try it. The DVI-D thing just sums up the drama I've had for like 8 weeks since upgrading my GFX card. Wish I'd just left it the hell alone now lol.

Will hopefully find a proper balance with my bitrate tonight once the kids bugger off to bed and I can get my ED on. I'm down to fine tuning now.

Then I just need to sort the audio. So far I can split the mic from the game audio but I'm not sure what impact that will have on TS/TFAR.

Recording your mic track should have no effect on TS/TFAR. You only have to be careful when splitting the TS output from the game audio.

Jason likes this

I need to figure something out for at least editing the TS output so I can remove the annoying child voice overs my movies usually end up with lol.

Will play around with it some more, probably during training this week. OBS has the capacity to record multiple channels but they still end up as one channel in the end. Ideally I need a way to filter the TS sound into its own stream so I can edit it before putting it into the movie.

The main difficulty is that OBS has the audio options are scattered all over the place. The reasoning for the layout is somewhat justified but confusing to new users.

Settings > Audio is where you assign the various Windows audio channels to separate tracks. Up to two “Desktop” channels (“Playback” devices) and three “Mic” channels (“Recording” devices). The difference becomes irrelevant if you use VB-Cables. You can download one cable for free without restriction which will let you pipe audio from Playback to Recording or the other way around.

Settings > Output > Recording (Tab) has two important options:

• Recording format: MKV is the best option as recordings that stop unexpectedly can be recovered (although I’ve not had this problem yet). MKV files can be remuxed later into the editor-friendly MP4 format (File > Remux Recordings).
  • Audio Track: Check how many  tracks you wish to record in the file (up to 6). This can be a larger number than the Windows audio channels you have (due to compositing) or it could be fewer if you wish to only monitor and not record all of the Windows audio channels.

Settings > Output > Audio allows you to set the quality of each track and name them. The names are embedded in the file but do not show up in the OBS interface. They are visible if you use playback software like VLC (Audio > Audio Channel).

Edit > Advanced Audio Properties is where you set up which Windows Audio channels are recorded to which tracks in the file. You can have all of them merged onto Track 1 and then for the following tracks can have only one channel per track or some other combination. This is also where you set up monitoring, volume and some other stuff.

I haven’t mentioned filters which can be used to improve audio quality (possibly to remove background noise). If I do anything on this it will probably be part of a follow up video. I still have a lot to learn on this subject.

Feel free to ask me about anything mentioned above if you see me online… or wait for the video. No promises on when that will be released though.

PARKER and Jason like this

At two weeks since the initial post I think it’s time to get something shipped, so I recorded it unscripted this morning. I can always make a better version later. I’ll be uploading it this morning and will post it to a new thread, which will be linked below.

Next task will be to play around with recording settings and see what can be done on low-to-mid range hardware.

Jason and PARKER like this

So I went through the set up, good video btw liked the theory explanation at the start and everything was covered nicely.

I've managed to get Teamspeak/Mic through their own channels but the game/windows channels don't appear to be working not sure if i've mixed something up, I can't see any issues. 

Also whats the next step, how do you then get it into Premiere as a vid clip with 4 tracks?

Happy to teamview to save a shed load of typing and thanks for the help so far!

@hoofed