Filth

Training OPORD 15/03/18

Training Day 15/03/18 19:00 BST   9 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend?

• Yes.
    • No. LOA posted.
    • Maybe. NCO notified.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Training Subjects

For the coming two weeks, we will focus on our mechanised skill set. Our first session will be about

Infantry Fighting Vehcicle Crews

-Roles & Responsibilities

-Technical Familiarisation: Comms, cTabs, Optics, Cameras

-Offensive & Defensive Manoeuvers

-Exercise Airfield Defence

Perparatory Reading (optional)

Mission

to be announced by @Chroma

Edited by Filth
Technical familiarisation specified, exercise added, mechanised guide added
PARKER, hoofed and Pilgrim like this

Got 2 missions ready to go but one will require me to do a bit of Zeusing so however people feel on the day.

One is a motorised convoy on Bystrica which we will be playing as Opfor Russian army against Independent Chernarus Militia. The objective is to follow a railway line to clear the way for our supply train.

Other mission is playing as CSAT who are surprise attacked while out guarding a checkpoint as US forces launch a Aerial & Naval invasion on the SE island in Tanoa. The objective is to recapture several locations while fighting off waves of incoming US forces from the USS Freedom. This is the mission I will need Zeus for.

Pilgrim, Filth and PARKER like this

If it won’t be disruptive to your training I would like to attend so that Air Corps can keep Anvil procedures in line with infantry. Happy to just observe.

Filth and Pilgrim like this

16 minutes ago, hoofed said:

If it won’t be disruptive to your training I would like to attend so that Air Corps can keep Anvil procedures in line with infantry. Happy to just observe.

You're more than welcome to join. Any infantry training.

But I think in the way of theory and procedures, next week will be even more interesting for you.

hoofed likes this

Cool. I’ll be there.

If you need me to fly Raven for the mission afterwards I can do that too.

PARKER likes this

Training was terrible, it was all very basic yet we didn't do all we should have been able to do, because people had to look at their key bindings half the time.
The manoeuver part was left fully up to the commander meaning each team has very varied experience, I believe there should have been some theory about how to command, drive and gun the vehicles before we move out considering this was "basic", this would have taken up major part of the time but would have been worth it.
This is not the first time also we do some "target practice" however once again I feel like other teams gets more targets then others meaning not everyone get a "equal" training, might be worth getting more people to zeus next time, this is also often the case when we do example AR/AG trainings

16 hours ago, GuzzenVonLidl said:

Training was terrible, it was all very basic yet we didn't do all we should have been able to do, because people had to look at their key bindings half the time.
The manoeuver part was left fully up to the commander meaning each team has very varied experience, I believe there should have been some theory about how to command, drive and gun the vehicles before we move out considering this was "basic", this would have taken up major part of the time but would have been worth it.
This is not the first time also we do some "target practice" however once again I feel like other teams gets more targets then others meaning not everyone get a "equal" training, might be worth getting more people to zeus next time, this is also often the case when we do example AR/AG trainings

You're making some very good points, even though I strongly disagree with the term "terrible". "Terrible" isn't really something I can work with, thank you very much.

Looking at key bindings is an essential part of training. We can not expect people to have everything set up perfectly right from the start. This applies both to inexperienced players and veterans alike. I'm very happy to spend time on helping people set up the required technical aspects. Without them, operating in proper missions is impossible.

As you point out, it's all very basic. That was the intention, because people's level of knowledge on this subject is very low. I also agree with you that the live fire exercise would have been far more effective if it was conducted with individual vehicles. Agreed also on varying training experience. Since you appear to have a very strong opinion on this, please tell us how you suggest we can manage to pull off individual exercises for four vehicle crews in the space of one hour. Feel free to also tell us what three vehicle crews are supposed to do while one goes through practice.

If I remember correctly you were with us from the beginning of the session. That means that in fact you should remember that I repeatedly went into considerable detail about all vehicle crew roles as well as suggested tactics and procedures for vehicles, even though that was explicitly not part of the training. I don't get your point. If you have specific suggestions on what I did wrong there, how I can improve in the future, go right ahead.

During almost a year of instructing infantry trainings I have learned to manage my expectations. I suggest you manage yours, too. Of course I want to do more and better. But time simply does not allow for it. Training to me means finding the weakest link (no insult intended) and start working from there. Significant improvements in our operational capabilities provide circumstantial evidence that this approach so far has proven effective. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Training

Keeping the above in mind, what I continue to do when preparing trainings is reducing content. And then reducing content some more. When I think I have a script that I can pull off in 60 minutes, that means we'll probably get half of it done. So, right back to reducing content.

That being said, I feel that in spite of chaos and slow progress, we did get a lot done considering attendance and number of inexperienced players. We ticked all boxes on my list, and more. So from that point of view, I'm quite happy with it since all my goals could be accomplished. 7/10

But that's just my own perspective. You can see Guzzen's diverge radically in his statement above. I'd like some more feedback on it. Did you learn something, if anything, or not? How can I improve trainings about vehicle crews? And so on and so forth. Please be specific, and please keep it constructive.

Mission

Was well made and suitable for mechanised operations, even though it wasn't exactly intended for it. What I particularly liked was the objective (clear railway tracks). I don't think that's been done before. This objective was very specific, but still allowed for much tactical freedom. I would have liked some fortifications, heavy weapons or even vehicle contacts, but then again we had considerable trouble with just enemy infantry alone. Thanks @Chroma !

From my own perspective and the reactions of Pig crew themselves, the logistical tasks worked nicely, even adding to the crew's experience. My intention was also do add more punishment for dying with the long distance to reinsert.

@PARKER's and @SoKkada's teams were very effective. As Sokkada pointed out, comms seemed to work pretty well. I was also pretty happy about most of the combined manoeuvres we made, that decisively accomplished ground with limited casualties.

@Pilgrim did an excellent job as vehicle commander. This illustrates that the mechanised training we have done so far has had some effect, even though several technical details still need practice. Most operational difficulties I believe were caused by shitty orders on my part.

A tonne of fun, and very fitting for the preceding training session. 9/10

PS:

This machine runs on feedback.

Chroma and Jason like this

Terrible might be to strong of a word, however it got your attention, I do not have any expectations when I go in to a training session.

Going over keys for vehicle usage is fine, but as soon as people need to start rebinding keys it starts to become a issue, If this needs to be done it needs to be before moving on the the next part. Example is we got in to the vehicles and we were supposed to familiarise controls by random individual vehicle exercises, I was assigned as driver, with a commander who was unsure of what we were doing, meaning we ended up driving along a yellow line, a gunner that was inactive because of rebinding keys, when we were finally ready the exercise was over. this is a very specific case but sadly also not the first time something like this has happened. Point is moving on to the next part is risky without every one is on the same page.

Since this was basic of vehicle crew handling the part after should have been displayed with demonstration of hiding behind the wall, with the crew talking and manoeuvring for best positions etc. The intent of the last part may not have been to kill things but it should have been treated the same as the "AG/AR" stuff, (Spot, Manurer, Engage) we were looking towards the west, where some teams had better location then others meaning some teams could destroy the targets before others could even see them, yes this is partly up to the vehicle commander also. a better world location might have been better for this along with having one direction for each team

Filth likes this

14 minutes ago, GuzzenVonLidl said:

xample is we got in to the vehicles and we were supposed to familiarise controls by random individual vehicle exercises, I was assigned as driver, with a commander who was unsure of what we were doing, meaning we ended up driving along a yellow line, a gunner that was inactive because of rebinding keys, when we were finally ready the exercise was over. this is a very specific case but sadly also not the first time something like this has happened. Point is moving on to the next part is risky without every one is on the same page.

This wasn't communicated to me. I have no control over your experience if you don't talk to me. If anything is unclear - ask questions. My English sucks, too, so I'm not surprised I'm not getting my point across.

14 minutes ago, GuzzenVonLidl said:

a better world location might have been better for this along with having one direction for each team

I will not repeat this exercise in any case. It's largely useless.

I'm open to suggestions for alternatives.

Training was of a very high standard, and very well thought out...it certainly put me on the hop when asked to be commander...so thanks @hoofed for guiding me through. 

I have one major gripe..not sure if its mod/template etc related but here goes...if i press "H" then i get the zeus thing come up and not ctab(when applicable). What is this zeus thing, why does it come up during missions/training and thus completely ruin any immersion that i have....please for the love of god, stop this this thing.

Mission was very good, but unfortunately due to some silly mistakes(most not mine) i got killed. This is a pattern for me at the moment, i help out the new recruits(when it should be done by team leaders) and in doing so get killed. 

To the mission creator...it is a brilliant mission, but i didnt have a good night...so boo hoo me. I really want to give this one another go, so will this be possible  ????  

Many thanks to @Filth...you work your nuts of for us, and please keep going as its giving most of us direction...and education :)

uj

Pilgrim and Filth like this

5 minutes ago, unionjak said:

What is this zeus thing

It's an interactive hint, I have the same problem trying to open the ACE medical menu. Only solution is to remap one of the keys, I'd go for the hint one unless you really REALLY need them. It'll be listed as something along the lines of "recall hint" or "show hint".

Well, even as a veteran, I have never been put in a position to even NEED to learn about several things. Radio settings. CTab procedures. Incorporating that into comms. And all of those elements combined. Which is a skill In itself.

So I managed to learn an awful lot within my own hemisphere.

There have been plenty of occasions over the years, where training involves elements or procedures where I pretty much know what I’m doing.

And In those circumstances i STILL try and learn something by passing my knowledge on to those who are less experienced. It’s something I enjoy doing. There are always new guys who need to be shown he ropes. 

Thank you @Filth for putting trust in me to step up over the last few months. It’s been a period where enthusiasm has been rewarded throughout the squad. So often before the same old people were put in positions of responsibility, and the rest of us never learned or moved forward. This has changed.

I’m ready for more.

Leading an armoured vehicle is actually very challenging, as you are trying to communicate where you are going, what you want to do, think about range, weaknesses and threats a lot more than a fire team. 

And I believe that in life, understanding one thing makes you better at another.

gg for the mission @Chroma

@madmatt .. I LOVE your enthusiasm.

Chroma, PARKER and Filth like this

Thanks again for letting me attend.

Training did feel rushed just because there was much to get through in a short time. On paper it seems simple but communication and gaining confidence in each other's abilities as a tank crew takes time. I'm sure we'll get many more opportunities once the Tank DLC is out. Thank you to @Filthfor running the training.

On the mission side of things, as always in the supporting role, I don’t have a lot to say on the editing side as I rarely saw the enemy. With that said I liked the idea of  the mission, following the train tracks clearing the path of mines and enemies.

I learned a lot during the mission though. Squad Medic is the exact opposite of what my instincts tell me to do. I hear a fight and my overwhelming urge is to get involved with either an LMG or a GAU-8 but I very quickly learned to stay back and wait until called for. Being on the ground and at the back of the back also robbed me of the situational awareness that I’m used to having in the air which called for even more caution.

Reinserting by ground was refreshing. As I said in the debrief, Air Corps is happy to provide that in the big ops too.

Thanks for the mission @Chroma.

Chroma, Pilgrim and PARKER like this

20 minutes ago, hoofed said:

I'm sure we'll get many more opportunities once the Tank DLC is out.........

Air Corps is happy to provide that in the big ops too.

Indeed. While we are technically the AIR corps we do have our Anvil Callsign which can fill the role of MBT or IFV so if people are interested in mechanised ops on a larger scale we're more than willing to go for it. The release of Tanks will undoubtedly see us make more use of mech assets so it's great that you guys are getting to grips with it now rather than trying to rush it later on.

@Filth if you have some documented SOPs that you guys are using can you please send me them so I can update the Anvil SOP accordingly? Would hate all these shiny tanks to roll out with us working on completely different procedures.

Thanks to @hoofed for helping out.

Some wisdom from the Desert Rats that sums up AFVs:

AFVCrews.jpg

hoofed, Pilgrim, Filth and 1 other like this

Good training and mission no complaints, spoke to @Chroma and from his mission we ended up coming up with an good idea for my Saturday mission next month.

Jason and PARKER like this

How do...

Training

I personally found the vehicle stuff very useful, theory and practical, ARMA has such an array of vehicle assets and while all are set up pretty much the same (i.e. keys) they all have their advantages/weaknesses/quirks and I've never really done much with IFV's hell I didn't even know what IFV stood for before last nights training so it goes to show that everyone has something to learn. I agree that the exercise could have "gone better" from the point of view that everyone probably experienced something slightly different but a unified experience would be incredibly difficult to achieve, this is ARMA after all, surely that was also the point though, a live fire experience to see how people did and address issues found, all new subjects need to start like this (thanks to this I now have my zoom out button configured correctly).  I particularly enjoyed the scenario it allowed us to try our hand at a multi-vehicle defense something I've only personally seen a few times in my near 3 years with the clan, a pretty niche but bloody fun subject and boy would i like to do more.

My suggestions

- I think we should run specific, selected training subjects over maybe 3/4 weeks instead of swapping and changing them each week to different subjects, this has some advantages and disadvantages. It would allow for more detailed sessions, or sessions aimed at say a specific vehicle role or allow one subject to be broken up over 4 weeks but may make sessions more theory than practical which I'm fine with but others may not be. It'd also take co-ordination between multiple experienced trainers, something we heavily lack in at the moment and also rely on people turning up consistently to get the most from the training itself.

- Last nights vehicle exercise I felt should've had a lead/HQ vehicle just like in a FT one vehicle to co-ordinate the others or an on the ground SL to order a specific defensive manoeuvre to complete, I think this would help focus all teams on the objective/training subject. I understand last night was probably way to early for all that but something to consider when sending multiple vehicles out.

I found everything in the session to be well explained and useful....many thanks as always to @Filth for putting the time and effort in, you gorgeous bastard

Mission

As I said last night the op was a real good crack, I knew going into it that we'd never make it to the end but that was fine, the op was well run, performed nicely especially unit placement and the location chosen. Great that we had enough attendance for 2 vehicles, a squad medic and 2 fireteams! It was perfect for TL's, lots of view distance due to the flat railroad and loads of cover once we got into town. Comms were on form last night which made it easy for me to understand what was required and where I was in the squad. Loved having pig as back up and thought Filths use of pig to move his infantry into better positions and as re-insert was well done (oh yeah IFV). We had some good firefights, .203's incoming, grenades and flanking enemy thoroughly enjoyable stuff.

Alpha team 1 @Chroma@Wartomsniper performed well, good initiative in places and Chroma was guiding Tom when required to ensure the team stayed in formation (thank you) unfortunately Tom had to leave early but it felt like he had improved even in the half an op he attended. I also need to apologise for getting you killed (sorry) we got flanked by an AI and he dropped a FRAG right on Toms head and maimed Chroma. My bad! Team 2 @Lt.Chris@Joe Malley were spotless tactically, I didn't have to ask twice and when they did there thing it was done right. The only criticism I have was when I was down tier 2 it took a while for Alpha to co-ordinate and for someone to pick up the command/report in, the quicker we can do this the better.

muchos kudos to @Chroma for the op, recorded the lot, I'm looking forward to more Chroma ops!

GG everyone, super! 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

AFVCrews.jpg

That's fucked up and hits home..my grandpop being there and all...I must send that to my dad...

Chroma likes this

7 hours ago, Filth said:

Was well made and suitable for mechanised operations, even though it wasn't exactly intended for it. What I particularly liked was the objective (clear railway tracks). I don't think that's been done before. This objective was very specific, but still allowed for much tactical freedom. I would have liked some fortifications, heavy weapons or even vehicle contacts, but then again we had considerable trouble with just enemy infantry alone. Thanks @Chroma !

Well we did only get through 1/3rd of it so your wish mayve already been granted ;)

Regarding the training I thought considering there were several guys that haven't even been in a mechanised mission before was fine and gave the rest of us (or me at least) a refresher as we haven't really used any Anvil or Pig elements in a few months. I will say however the start of the training seemed more of a 'how to' for the LR radio that probably everyone didn't need to know and confused a lot of people. Other than that it was good!

Thanks for the feedback on my mission as well! Its much appreciated and hopefully sometime well be able to complete it as people seemed to have enjoyed themselves.

PARKER likes this