Chroma

Map Making

23 posts in this topic

Decided to have a crack at making/customising maps. Seems to be pretty straightforward so far... If you know me you'll know I love this kind of stuff!

So if anyone out there's got any cool/interesting ideas of what you would like to see (or not see) in a map id like to hear it! wanna test myself at doing something new and who knows it may even end up good.

Also if anyone's got experience in this before and has pointers or tips for me giz a shout.

Capture.png

Capture1.JPG

Lt.Chris, hoofed and PARKER like this

Most people quit shortly after importing the height map in to the map editor by not knowing what they are getting in to and how much time you need to dedicate to make map with the the same quality as example Chernarus.
Hope you can do something with it

Chroma and hoofed like this

My assumption would be many hundreds if not thousands of hours to go from nothing to something quite polished. That being said, I will give it a go and try to make a tiny island map (1km square is probably a good starting point).

Learning stuff like this is going to take a long time. But the sooner some of us start the sooner we’ll have a bunch of people with the skills to create custom terrains. I may end up focusing on making assets for maps (like buildings and trees) but knowing how map creation works would be useful. :)

PARKER likes this

I can get custom maps in game but after that I really just don't have the time. It is a HUGE undertaking.

A team working on it would be an awesome clan asset though and a great hook for recruitment.

If people are interested I can add a repo to my git so we can collaborate easily. Anyone working on it can be added as a collaborator I think. Same goes for any other project for clan use really, if there's something people want to work on together then I'll happily help out where I can.

Chroma likes this

big question is if a team was to do it is - what kind of land do you want to make? :) eg: chenerus V2, some sort of forest map/desert etc

Whatever we want. My tutorial contains steps to create our own ground textures so the only consideration after that is buildings and then actually making the thing.

I'm having a day off mod work after the F-35 update so I'm playing around with this and in the space of around 90 minutes I have 4 terrains prepped for config code.

Making purely fictional terrains is not that time consuming once you know the steps needed.

Edit:

Forgot to mention the one I'm focusing on is 40km square rather than the usual 20 so it's going to be 4x bigger than Altis

how does something like the plains of Tunisia sound then?

rolling hills, lots of open desert, small inland towns and oil drilling facilities with major coastal cities made to export said oil?

Chroma and PARKER like this

You underestimate how much time im willing to spend fannying about with map making ;)

A collab would be pretty cool for now im messing around with height maps and then editing the terrain manually. The one i posted a picture of was just a quick random generated one which i edited to add some mountains and lakes in. I personally would like to make a small islands map that has light forest and some larger built up areas. Think it would make a nice balance for the kind of missions people seem to make

PARKER and Filth like this

Sounds like a blast. I haven't bothered editing heightmaps I just use the generation algorithms and see what it comes up with. Here's 2 of the ones I knocked up this afternoon:

Arctic Islands (the white stuff is indeed snow):

20180322172349_1.jpg

20180322173223_1.jpg

Tanith (simple temperate climate and that is a properly flooded inland lake):

20180322172837_1.jpg

20180322173027_1.jpg

The big drama is adding the buildings etc. A properly constructed town made to look realistic could well have over 1000 individual objects baked into it and they all need to be placed manually. At least you can build stuff in Eden now and export it for use in terrain builder.

I actually tried to import a shrunken down heightmap of the entire falklands lol. It worked but wasnt that great.

hoofed likes this

@Chroma Once you have a map made id assume you can use this http://map-builder.info/ to open your map and add objects to it and export it again, not looked much in to map building but thought this may help.

@Luke No need for those things anymore you get the same functionality from the in game editor.

@Chroma RL terrain can be an absolute ballache but it looks really cool once you manage it. I'm working on the area of NW Iraq where Bravo Two Zero were contacted and captured but it is a right pain in the ass. The heightfield is made from a geotiff and it has all sorts of weird peaks and troughs that don't exist so you have to flatten them out one by one

Luke and Chroma like this

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Knocked this up this morning since my spine decided sleep is for losers:

https://github.com/jasonjoyce971/GOL-Maps/wiki

Offers a simple way for anyone that is interested to get in on the work :)

Will add a link for this to the GOL wiki page, let me know if theres any others...

very cool stuff guys

Playing around with different ways to procedurally generate landscapes in Blender. Hopefully this will be a way to quickly create something realistic looking which can then be refined and customised before rendering at extremely high quality as a texture to be brought into Bohemia’s tools.

Landscape_test.jpg

Jason and PARKER like this

So would you be interested in helping me with this? @hoofed @Jason

Got a 10x10Km height map of Gibraltar imported it (It looked terrible) and been going over all the edges,cliffs,roads,coasts and so on. Got to redo some things as i didn't get the scale right will probably take a long long time but the finished product should probably be a 1:1 scale replica.

The screenshot looks a lot less refined than it is atm as the program simplifies the tri's from a distance.

2.JPG

1.png

Luke and PARKER like this

Already got it in the wiki and it's in the original post of my tutorial thread.

Some of the information is a little dated but on the whole it is a brilliant introduction to the process of using TB and getting stuff into game