Filth

Training OPORD 12/04/18

Training Day 12/04/18 19:00 BST   7 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend?

• Yes.
    • No. LOA posted.
    • Maybe. NCO notified.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Training Subjects

CQB Focus including

-Danger Zone Crossing

-Breaching (Rooms, buildings, compounds)

-Team Leadership

...and many more. Up to you.

Mission

Operation The Kernel on Vt5 by @Lt.Chris

Edited by Filth
Mission added
hoofed likes this

48 minutes ago, albertofum said:

Gonna need some time to download all of the mods.

You still have two days to get that sorted out. Should be enough time.

Please add me on Steam (Filthy McNasty) if you need any help.

yea lots of fun ent  SQL is realy hard ent i fuckt up lots of time's

hope to learn a lot dowing it more.

ent hope you all hed fun,

ent thx for not killing my  for sending you all in to hall :P 

7/ 10

PARKER, Pilgrim and Filth like this

Training

Super useful. Blessed with a veteran team. More please.

Mission

Super fun. Hate losing guys. 

Relied on my experienced team to pass on information which helped with awareness.

Good little baptism of fire. The only way is up.

Any pointers from my team would be most welcome. Strengths weaknesses etc.

@Oksman @Lt.Chris @Luke @Chroma

Obviously EVERYTHING needs improving, but anything that’s immediately obvious and stands out.

Message ends.

Wine drinking begins

Gg

PARKER, Chroma and Filth like this

Morning all

A very useful session last night, 3 major subjects covered and practicals applied, as Filth requested I will make these scenarios available for the coming weeks training as well as a few others which we'll go over.

I found the double danger zone practice the most useful as its the most confusing of the three subjects we covered and easy to get in a pickle about. After sleeping on I think its actually sunk in but as everything is in ARMA your only as good as your weakest link, so we all need to get this nailed in our minds.

So to this end I thought I'd draw up a little debate about an alternative double danger zone crossing. The method below would make the crossing quicker (3 movement stages instead of 5) but not necessarily safer as I'll explain.

STAGE1.PNG

In Stage 2 we move TL and redundant T2 across at the same time (quicker)

STAGE2.PNG

STAGE3.PNG

In Stage 4 we move T1 at the same time, this involves the back sector moving across backwards (dangerous)

STAGE4.PNG

Annnnnd discuss!

Operation

This was a difficult mission attempted by new SL and new TL's so was always going to be a bit messy but as Filth said this is what Training ops are for, to learn from our mistakes. A few things I picked up on which is good advice for all and that I had to learn (and then forget the very next day);

• adjust your Ace volume for the situation, i.e. yelling when your under fire or have a stretched out team but then change it back to normal when things are quiet.
  • Keep orders/comms as short and as descriptive as possible, if you need a minute to think send a "wait 1" to whoever your talking to and have a think.
  • When giving movement orders try and give "Direction, Pace and Formation" this helps to stop people getting lost.
  • Try and think ahead, i.e. if you have a compound to clear up ahead try and give the orders for your buddy/fire teams in advance rather than when you're half way through the door or under pressure actually clearing it.

I'm still getting the hang of the above but you need to try and provide at least the above as a bare minimum, so start with the above and get it nailed down.

All in all I think everyone did a cracking job last night and I know the new corporals probably felt like your head exploded, but it slowly gets easier so keep at it guys.

Pilgrim, unionjak and Filth like this

I like the look of the double danger zone crossing. It’s KIND of what I was trying to get at with Alpha.

One thing that was pointed out last night as I was practicing breaching, was that many times theory goes out the window. In those circumstances, common sense and communication beats theory. What training is great at is teaching theory basics, but also communication and the DISCIPLINE of communicating. Always calling out intentions. Getting your message across quickly and concisely. As an old teacher used to say, you’re not here to work, you’re here to LEARN to work. The old maxim that no strategy survives first contact is so true. But In those circumstances, common sense, communication and discipline win the day. It’s what we fall back on when the shit hits the rotors.

We found that practically, double breaching that particular smaller HQ from both sides of the door, was more effective than stacking up and breaching, as it gave a better chance of survival. And that was down to common sense and communication between two buddy team members.

Assess, Communicate, Ingress, and be Decisive. 

ACID....That’s my top trip for the day. Take it as you will.

PARKER and Filth like this

13 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Any pointers from my team would be most welcome. Strengths weaknesses etc.

Actually wouldn't have guessed it was one of your first times team leading! Were very calm and collected despite shit kicking off every 2 seconds.

A bit of criticism I would have is to communicate to other team leaders directly instead of waiting from orders from 1-1 actual.

Other than that it seems it comes to you pretty much naturally!

Pilgrim and PARKER like this

Training

I got so few things done it's ridiculous. But I hope spending more time on the things we did cover paid off to some extent. Can't really tell so you'll have to say yay or nay.

My training plans for the near future are all CQB focused.

To develop proficiency in danger zone crossings. Take this into live fire.

To develop proficiency in breaching rooms, buildings, compounds. Take all this into live fire.

Lastly, do develop danger zone crossings into an offensive maneuver, transitioning from a crossing manoeuver into a breach.

Mission

@Lt.Chris was fairly standard. I appreciate that finally, the time of day and MHQ have been changed. It's these little things that add to a mission's feel, and if done right, make them memorable with an actual impact on gameplay. Please develop this further.

I also liked coming back to Vt5, it's a small but beautiful map with uniquely challenging terrain.

What I was pretty confused about was placement, strength and kind of enemy units. Sometimes we hit massive contact that just disappeared without us killing anything. Most enemies we hit were right in our faces. We never got the drop on any of them. But this ties into execution as well.

37 minutes ago, PARKER said:
  • Keep orders/comms as short and as descriptive as possible, if you need a minute to think send a "wait 1" to whoever your talking to and have a think.
  • When giving movement orders try and give "Direction, Pace and Formation" this helps to stop people getting lost.
  • Try and think ahead, i.e. if you have a compound to clear up ahead try and give the orders for your buddy/fire teams in advance rather than when you're half way through the door or under pressure actually clearing it.

I second this. It's pretty much what I tried to say in the debrief, but Parker puts it much better. Players need purpose. Much of the time, Bravo was without purpose. We made it up as we went, with very little instruction on the whole. Down time was my only complaint essentially. Very indecisive. @SoKkada I understand everbody was trying to protect their subordinates from harm. But in a combat situation, you have to take risks. Also you need to take into account that one building is not sufficient space for two teams to manoeuver in. Control the terrain more.

Making a bad decision is much better than making no decision at all. So much for the future, but thanks all for your attempt. We can see that all of you have your heart in the right place and possess a great willingness to learn. And that's what it's all about. I put you in a crazy difficult situation yesterday. You exceeded my expecations.

On a team leadership level, I'll once again commend @unionjak who was struggling, too. Finding himself in this position, he kept his cool throughout all the difficult situations we were put in. Due to our underwhelming performance, there were some complaints mission-time. UJ was faced with conflict. He just brushed it aside, no drama, no arguments, just continued to do his job.
Furthermore, the casualty count was kept relatively low in Bravo. Good.
But: If you want to accomplish objectives, you need to take risks. Quick, decisive action has the potential to overpower even the cold emotionless Arma AI. Please keep that in mind for the future.

Lastly thanks to @hoofed for your continued presence and support on these trainings. Will see about doing some more Air coop next month.

7/10 Lots to learn. But we're on the right track.

47 minutes ago, PARKER said:

In Stage 4 we move T1 at the same time, this involves the back sector moving across backwards (dangerous)

STAGE4.PNG

Dangerous indeed. It's my opinion that the rear must be guarded at all times by at least one person in (almost) any formation. Consider also: The above manoeuver might be a withdrawing movement from a contact East. But as @Pilgrim points out, you may find yourself in a situation where you need to be flexible with your procedures. That's for another day. What I'm primarily concerned with atm is getting a basic, safe procedure drilled into all of you. The fancy, flexible bits we can try out once we're all good at it.

Nonetheless, thanks for the illustration and the discussion.

Pilgrim and PARKER like this

24 minutes ago, Chroma said:

Actually wouldn't have guessed it was one of your first times team leading! Were very calm and collected despite shit kicking off every 2 seconds.

A bit of criticism I would have is to communicate to other team leaders directly instead of waiting from orders from 1-1 actual.

Other than that it seems it comes to you pretty much naturally!

That ain’t no criticism bwoy. That’s good advice. ;)

Chroma likes this

What I was pretty confused about was placement, strength and kind of enemy units. Sometimes we hit massive contact that just disappeared without us killing anything. Most enemies we hit were right in our faces. We never got the drop on any of them. But this ties into execution as well.

If 20 guys spread across 3 strong-points is "confusing" then I don't know what to say, all the failures were down how the objectives were approached and handled. No blame though because we have new people handling the roles. In fact a direct assault was the safest and best way to approach these objectives but it seems too much time was wasted on massive flanking movements and moving towards the un-beatable enemy forces which i directly warned about at the briefing and during the mission. Sadly we didn't get any further which is a shame and I'm hoping for a replay as a result

unionjak likes this

Remember when doing firedrills not to over complicate matters, A smooth transition is more important than a complex perfect procedure, it will quickly break apart when one of the team members are incapacitated. Slow is smooth, smooth is quick, but you sure as shit don't wanna take your time crossing dangerzones

unionjak, PARKER and hoofed like this