Lt.Chris

Operation Harvest Red Week 2

Attendance 20/04/2018   12 members have voted

1. 1. Attending?

• yes
    • No, posted LOA
    • Maybe, Messaged squad leader

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

OPERATION ORDER

MAP: Chenarus 

DATE: 21/04/2018

Operation Name: Harvest Red

Terrain: Urban city, forests, hills

Weather: Clear Sies

Forecast:  Clear

Starting Time: 1900

Starting Position: South Airfield

===============================================================================

Situation:

USMC forces have been able to prevent the total destruction of the CDF and now established a foothold and also moved their base of operations to the newly captured airfield from where AAC will now operate its assets from. Now the CDF have asked for the US forces to assist in their advance north to take the nearby villages up in the hills to ensure that we do not get attacked by artillery/mortars. Our job is to make sure the CDF can complete their new objective, see below for details

==============================================================================

Briefing:

We have identified 2 locations from where we think the chadaki have taken up ambush positions in order to intercept the CDF which will be on their way to Kozlovka to re-take the town. US forces must go as soon as possible to the 2 ambush locations and clear them of any threat before the CDF move though them. We cannot wait for long as the CDF commander of the troops appears to be impatient so move as soon as you are ready. Once the CDF have moved though the area they will begin their assault which then the AAC will step in to help the CDF in anyway they can in order to take the town back, we bealive the forces there will have tanks/apcs so these should be priority targets. 

The ground forces also must take out the AAA position to allow the AAC to fly freely to provide maximum support otherwise things will get very hard. Once this is done we can then move to help the CDF take control of our final objective Zelenogorsk. 

MISSION2.png

Infantry Task Force:

Task 1: Move from the airfield to clear the 2 ambush points before CDF pass though

Task 2: Take out the AAA at the AAA site

Task 3: Secure the town of Zelenogorsk

USMC AAC:

Task 1: Support the CDF assault on the town of Kozlovka 

Task 2: Avoid the AAA site till the ground forces destroy it

Task 3: Support the platoon as requested and be wary of any air based attacks which the chadaki may respond with 

1 hour ago, ThecMaster said:

Ok. Is AAC in that Big need of training that you need a major op for it. ;P

Have you seen us fly lately? We need all the help we can get :P 

Pilgrim, ThecMaster and hoofed like this

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

They don’t teach you this shit at school.

....mind you. I may not have been there if they had 

:D

hoofed likes this

6 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

They don’t teach you this shit at school.

....mind you. I may not have been there if they had 

On the job training, lad. No manuals. ;-)

Pilgrim and ThecMaster like this

Mission Game:

Not a bad little mission. The AO was tiny making everything seem faster and more immediate and this also meant that the objectives kind of overlapped. As Raptor said at debrief the AAA site was so close to the CDF Objective we had to engage the AAA to allow us to complete the CDF Objective.

The CDF Objective itself was very easily dispatched with not much in the way of targets. Some fortified buildings would have been a welcome addition along with maybe a cheeky little ZSU. As it was it was over with in a matter of minutes.

The final town was better. Some occupied buildings, a mix of vehicles, good selection of targets. We then had a "Chris" mission moment where the Chedaki has managed to get it's hands on half a soviet tank company. While it gave us plenty of targets for a big finale I don't think it suited the whole Red Harvest vibe. These guys are rebels and/or insurgents not state sponsored militia so having the capability to deploy that many tanks in so short a space of time didn't make sense to me.

Mission Editing:

Editing wise I only had 3 gripes.

First up, the AA defences. A Tunguska can be killed, two spawned right on top of each other can't. Both me and Raptor fell foul of this practice. At the point that I was hit, I had something between 7 and 10 active SAMs flying toward me and they were the ones I hadn't already avoided. Complete overkill is an understatement. If you want to create challenging and realistic air defences then they should be layered. A Tunguska with a couple of Shilkas with a couple of ZSU guns. This will provide the challenge without providing the insta-death.

Secondly the location of the supply crates. These had obviously just been left as the template places them and dragged to where we would spawn. No other thought was put into the position. As a result we couldn't get close enough in the chopper to load the crate and had to do some emergency zeusing to get the resupply. This is a very basic mistake.

Thirdly the spawns. Every time a spawn trigger was fired there was a huge lag spike. Like "OMG the server is dying" huge. You need to add more and bigger pauses in your spawns or even break them down into smaller waves/zones. As it was we knew when to expect enemy due to the lag spikes so it spoiled any potential ambushes or surprises.

Summary:

With the exception of some very basic mistakes the mission was quite enjoyable. I had very little downtime in either callsign which is always great. The main thing that spoiled my time flying was the lack of laser designators on the helicopters. I think this may be connected to the new LOAL system from Tanks so will investigate.

Congrats to @R4IDER for managing both a 3 liner and 6 liner. You're getting the hang of this, keep it up!

Finally @Blu. welcome to the AAC!

hoofed and Filth like this

Mission 

Since I made it ill just respond to things i guess

going to address a few things @Jason

Chedaki has managed to get it's hands on half a soviet tank company. While it gave us plenty of targets for a big finale I don't think it suited the whole Red Harvest vibe. These guys are rebels and/or insurgents not state sponsored militia so having the capability to deploy that many tanks in so short a space of time didn't make sense to me.

Not sure if you have played the campaign in arma2 but what you just said here is completely false, without totally ruining it for the others which have not played the campaign id suggest go replaying it to find to remind/find out on what the chadaki had in their control and how they got it.

First up, the AA defences. A Tunguska can be killed, two spawned right on top of each other can't. Both me and Raptor fell foul of this practice. At the point that I was hit, I had something between 7 and 10 active SAMs flying toward me and they were the ones I hadn't already avoided. Complete overkill is an understatement. If you want to create challenging and realistic air defences then they should be layered. A Tunguska with a couple of Shilkas with a couple of ZSU guns. This will provide the challenge without providing the insta-death.

Yeah this was a small problem because the inf were suppose to do this as an objective but AAC kept destroying it resulting in me doing a little zueing to try and restore the AA for the inf to destroy except mr @Raptorthe little devil kept taking it out meaning I put in stronger and stronger AA each time to get you guys to lay off it but this did not work until it finally shot you down. This was caused to as you say with the AA being too close yeah this is a mission creation oversight i agree

Thirdly the spawns. Every time a spawn trigger was fired there was a huge lag spike. Like "OMG the server is dying" huge. You need to add more and bigger pauses in your spawns or even break them down into smaller waves/zones. As it was we knew when to expect enemy due to the lag spikes so it spoiled any potential ambushes or surprises.

As for the big server lag, all the groups had a sleep between every single one so I can't explain the lag spike and this spawns were tested before and after the mission and this lag spike was not reproducible so I'm going to rule it as the server itself on that occasion.

Think that takes care of the main points of contention 

One thing in the mission did not go to plan which was @R4IDER decided to hit the eastern ambush site first instead of the western one, as we know the CDF were comming up the road and were going to pass though the western ambush area first on their way to their objective but since we used a fair amount of time going for the 2nd ambush first the CDF rolled into a fully prepared ambush to the west which resulted in mass CDF losses. Guess in future ill have to point something like this out in order to ensure mission flow goes the way it was meant to be

Mission execution

From my end there seem to be a fair few very questionable orders which led to many unnecessary losses for example on the first contact.

We had sighted a T72 at the eastern ambush point and this was also identified by @R4IDER as he was right next to us, he called in an airstrike on the target but then for some strange reason ordered the fireteam to advance even closer to t72 where we would be 50-75m away from it. This would have been ok if the tank was destroyed however it was not and as a result we took fire at the new cover we advanced too and were stuck because moving anywhere else would have gotten killed by the tank. It would have been far better to have simply stayed put and waited for AAC. 

There was also general suicidal orders even something I get flak for in the past when leading the squad/platoon "Chris charges" this also resulted in unnecessary losses, and a massive desire for mass glory which led to extra losses. The enemy inf were actually fairly few but well placed and this is why many losses occurred. 

@unionjak

@SoKkada

You guys are still learning the fire team leader roles however ill give one bit of advise. Move the teams nice and slow where you need to do so, especially when your in villages/towns and cities and don't become too pressured with the though that "I must get though here really fast" one building leap this was extremly noticable which was when unionjak got hit during a sprint to a building and got shot to the right which no one had cleared yet and we were only saved by pure luck by lukes crazy MG. I had a small spy on alpha team using zues and saw this was the same case as well so this criticism also applies to sokkada too.   

Bottom line here is GO SLOW and go one step at a time and don't worry if you take longer as a result

GG :) 

ThecMaster, Luke, SoKkada and 1 other like this

Mission game: 

For me it was a good mission. I had fun. A lot of action and few down times. 

Mission editing:

Don't have any to say about that. Didn't think to much of the editing this mission. and didn't spot any obvious. 

For @SoKkada as Chris said. You are still learning. And can take it a bit easier in towns but overall rally good from you. We got almost wiped ones but that wasn't on you alone. 

For @Joe Malley, @Evilcommand and @Wartomsniper you did really good. You were focused most of the time. Sometime you still need to just be quiet when we have downtime because that's when our TL needs to think and probably talk in radio. I saw sokkada moving away from you may times and I guess it's because he couldn't hear his radio. You also need to pay attention to your radio and what TL is saying. A few times you didn't hear the changes of order. and a few times you didn't get the first order or you got it wrong. (btw I can't tell if all of you was chattering all the time but it was chatter most of the mission and that's the reason for all I wrote above)

And for @wartomsniper You don't have to micro manage your teammates all time. Though I thought about that part that you was showing you can have focus on the game it can be a bit to much. I often have a good sens on how GOL play and what's needed from me. 

For myself. I did som stupid mistakes that costed me my life. All MY death was on me and I can't blame TL or my teammates. 

Overall really good job from my team. Looking forward to se Joe, Evil And Wartom evolve more and more.