1. 1. Attendance

2. 2. Module Prefered

• Su-25T
    • A-10C
    • AV-8b
    • F-15C
    • Combined Arms
    • Other (please specify)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

The AAC are reinstating our monthly DCS sessions to be ran in place of AAC training every 4-5 weeks.

The idea is to play something different yet still challenging as a way to blow off steam and get away from ARMA for a little bit to stop the dreaded "burn out".

Anyone interested in DCS is welcome but you will be expected to know your way around your chosen module. There's 2 weeks until this starts so if people are looking for pointers, now is the time to start nagging us flyboys for some tuition.

===================================================================================================

FRAGO: FTX Oily Bear - 18/05/18 1900Z

With tensions mounting between Russia and the West the US and Georgia have mounted a training exercise designed as a show of force in the caucasus region.

The exercise takes the form of a fictional attack on Georgia from the Abkhazia region where Russia currently holds numerous bases and strongpoints despite Abkhazia being Georgian sovreign territory. If the worst does happen, we can expect any attack on the Baku/Poti oil pipeline to originate from here. The objective of the BLUFOR side is to prevent the ingress of Russian forces into Georgia.

Make no mistake, this may be an exercise but it is going to annoy the Russian establishment. DO NOT CROSS THE BORDER INTO RUSSIA OR YOU MAY FACE REAL CONSEQUENCES!

BLUFOR SPECIFIC DATA:

The objective is simple, delay any and all OPFOR forces until the USMC and Georgian ground forces can rally their response to the attack and close down the river crossings into Zugdidi. Any and all OPFOR targets are considered legitimate as this would be a conventional warfare scenario. The mission will be deemed a failure if significant OPFOR forces manage to cross the Patara Enguri River.

Flight Taskings:

Georgian Air Force:

Revenant = Su-25T - Ground Attack. Revenant will seek and destroy mobile OPFOR on the Abkhazian side of the river to keep the pressure off the border protection forces. Due to payload limitations Revenant will focus on APCs and IFVs.
Weasel = Su-25T - SEAD. Weasel is responsible for the suppression of any OPFOR air defences encountered.

USAF:
Phantom = A-10C - Ground Attack. Phantom will seek and destroy mobile OPFOR on the Abkhazian side of the river to keep the pressure off the border protection forces. Given it's capability Phantom will focus on MBTs and SPAAGs.
Siren = AV-8b - Ground Attack. Given payload limitations Siren will focus on precision attacks on 7 established OPFOR bases along the river bank. These are marked as waypoints in Sirens INS. Once these primary targets are destroyed, Siren will support Revenant and Phantom.
Banshee = F-15C - CAP. Banshee will provide anti-air cover to the operation.

Communications:
Support Flights = 252.000 MHz AM
Siren = 243.000 MHz AM
Weasel = 124.000 MHz AM
Revenant = 124.000 MHz AM
Banshee = 124.000 MHz AM
Phantom = 253.000 MHz AM

Senaki-Kolkhi ATC = 132.000 MHz AM
Kutaisi ATC = 134.000 MHz AM

Navigation:
Boom Tanker TACAN = 1X
Basket Tanker = 2X
Senaki-Kolkhi TACAN = 31X
Senaki-Kolkhi ILS = 108.90 MHz @ 095
Kutaisi TACAN = 44X
Kutaisi ILS = 109.75 MHz @ 074

AOR MAPPING:

20180501163832_1.jpg

hoofed, Raptor and Luke like this

Bump.

C'mon guys I know there are more DCS pilots out there.

Refuse to play until I manage to get my hands on some sort of Track IR, I can't be using the top switch for that shit. Had to deal with that all my years playing pilot in Arma, I hate it! :D

Also I need an Asians Guide to DCS

Asians guide to A-10C, play my no bullshit training campaign:

Asians guide to Su-25T (the one you get for free):

As for trackIR, I can't help with that. You can use the mouse to look around (not sure why you'd want to) or you can set "snap" points for your view so you can instantly switch to points of interest around the cockpit that you can designate.

Edit: Alternately there are free mobile apps that can be used to turn your phone into some sort of head tracker but it's not that great and can be a bit of a nause to setup. There are also other options such as tobii (can't remember how to spell it) eye tracker which I believe can be configured for DCS. Finally there is also the VR option which again you can rig up on your phone for very little cost. I used this with some measure of success before in both DCS and Elite Dangerous but it can be fiddly to set up.

Video from tonight’s test session. Game audio is missing due to a setup problem with SRS but the voice comms are there. I should have it fixed for next time.

Raptor and Jason like this

Couldn't find you guys to get into formation lol. No wonder I was about 2000ft above you trying to get my Mavericks to work.

hoofed likes this

On 5/8/2018 at 8:12 PM, Oksman said:

Also I need an Asians Guide to DCS

FYI, @Oksman the F-5 was exported to asian countries successfully. It’s small and quick, like asians. And like a Vietnamese prostitute it’s cheap and easy to operate. ;-)

Add it to your wishlist and wait for a sale.

12 minutes ago, hoofed said:

Add it to your wishlist and wait for a sale.

Then paint it Black and zip around humming the top gun theme like Hoofed does :P 

hoofed likes this

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Then paint it Black and zip around humming the top gun theme like Hoofed does :P 

Correction: MiG-28 theme.

Jason likes this

Another silly bump. C'mon guys you know you want to blow some stuff up spectacularly

@Luke This may help you out a bit mate:

hoofed and Luke like this

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Another silly bump. C'mon guys you know you want to blow some stuff up spectacularly

@Luke This may help you out a bit mate:

Yeah this will help thank you, also i need alot of things to be bound, so i dont have to take my hands off so much, can an xbox controller be used to like set the nose trim ect

Yeah I believe any controller can be configured to any input with any modifier key.

That's how people make their own home cockpits with working MFCDs etc

On 5/12/2018 at 0:00 AM, hoofed said:

Video from tonight’s test session. Game audio is missing due to a setup problem with SRS but the voice comms are there. I should have it fixed for next time.

Did you get anymore from our flight the other evening? :P 

hoofed likes this

Yeah. It’s still sitting in Premiere with a bunch of mark points set. Been editing other vids too. Got one coming out today for the guys learning the Su-25T. But our formation one is next. Unfortunately editing time competes with DCS time. :-D

Raptor and Jason like this

I'm going to try to record this weeks action. I'll record it live so long as it doesn't screw up the game too much but I'm also going to see about exporting the track and creating a movie from there where I can pan between all aircraft

hoofed likes this

Sounds good,  @Jason. Would like to also get the flight data for the session so I can take a look at it in TacView later. You’ll have to make sure it’s allowed because apparently some people use this to cheat on multiplayer servers. This page shows the settings required: http://www.tacview.net/documentation/dcs/en/#q21

Also, here’s a video I recorded this morning for @Luke@Byleth and anyone else who wants to get started. It should help clear up some confusion about how DCS works and getting the Su-25T into the air. it’s not going to teach you about using weapons or landing. But there are plenty of good video tutorials on that already, some of which are listed on my Getting Into DCS World for Free thread.

I forgot to say how you shut down your engines in the tutorial. Startup is Right Shift + Home and shutdown is Right Shift + End. Should be easy to remember.

Jason likes this

9 minutes ago, hoofed said:

You’ll have to make sure it’s allowed because apparently some people use this to cheat on multiplayer servers.

This is exactly what I'm currently reading up on lol.

They cheat by using Tac View to view the flight data as it is recorded giving themselves a sort of all seeing radar showing the entire battle in pretty much real time. Lets strike pilots avoid CAP flights and CAP flights to find bandits.

The tracks for the flights are automatically recorded for me as I'm the server which is handy. Downside I have to either trust the dubious DCS export tool to get an AVI or replay the entire mission in replay mode while recording it in OBS. I would then have to record multiple times to get different shots etc then edit the whole thing. Lots of work but should look cool as hell by the end of it. Sadly I don't have any radio audio from last week as I wasn't recording. Game audio is there though.

I think the way to avoid cheating with TacView on a public server is to install the TacView DCS module on the server itself. Then upload the flight data file after the session is over. Not a problem in our case because we're a private session but it's something I might try out in future if I get my second PC set up.

Jason likes this

Last bump for this guys. I'll be starting the servers up at around 1845 so we can get in game for 1900.

There are plenty of slots still available for anyone wanting to get involved including Combined Arms slots for those that want to play on the ground as vehicle crews or play as ground commander which is a bit like an RTS.

hoofed likes this

Well, I wasn’t completely useless flying CAP: 1x Mirage and 5x Ka-50. But I was way below my performance expectations having flown some CAP missions offline.

One Mirage slipped past me at the beginning and it’s embarrassing to watch in Tacview. After the initial BRA call AWAC wouldn’t respond to my requests. In the end I just cheated and looked at the map screen to locate him. Raptor took a shot with an AIM-9 from his A-10 but it fell short. In the end one of the AI AA finished the job.

I think the problem of me being invisible to everyone else was because I changed the livery at the start. I won't be doing that again.

Fun mission but I’ve got a lot to learn in the F-15C. Next time I'll probably try SEAD in the Su-25T. :)

Jason likes this

I'm just going over the replay now looking for stuff to snip out into a movie of some sorts and trying out that tac view thing.

For me I managed to lift in every aircraft last night and promptly fly them into AAA while trying to locate the convoy lol. Trying to find that last bloody packet of vehicles was way more difficult than I was expecting. I think I'll put an AFAC in next time that can guide the A-10s in so they can mark for the Su-25s.

Now to try this tacview thing to see exactly where I screwed up.....

For next time I'm toying with the idea of using Combined Arms with the AWAC radio system built into SRS and working as C2. That should remove the "AI is mental" problem.

Self critique on the editing: 

• there were not enough air contacts to keep the Eagles busy all mission
  • ground target locating was way too difficult. will add other means of locating targets such as JTAC/SF/AFAC. will probably have to use the A-10s with the DCS JTAC system since the scripted JTACs are largely static
  • biggest noob editor mistake though was leaving in the map markers........DOH!
  • I'll look into why the JTAC forces were visible also. not sure why they were visible to us but not to the enemy but go figure

Looking forward to the next one. With my next school holiday enforced LOA looming I'll be starting to build it so any requests feel free to nag me.