Lt.Chris

Operation Harvest Red Week 3

Attendence 05/05/18   10 members have voted

1. 1. Attending?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, Messaged NCO

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

OPERATION ORDER

MAP: Chenarus 

DATE: 05/5/18

Operation Name: Harvest Red

Terrain: Urban city, forests, hills

Weather: Clear Skies

Forecast:  Clear

Starting Time: 1900

Starting Position: South Airfield

===============================================================================

Situation:

We have a big situation, Chenrgosk has come under a massive arty attack by the chadaki, and we believe the chadaki may launch a following up assault on the city to re-take it from US/CDF control. We don't have enough time to re-allocate troops in the north west back to setup a large solid defense. US command has as a result to send a squad of USMC soliders to surge forward to knock out the arty which is firing and remove their Arty Command Post. While this is happening the air units will keep the enemy back from entering the city. 

==============================================================================

Briefing:

We know roughly where their arty and ammo storage is however you must go up and sweep the area for the arty and knock the potions out, once done, you must clear out and capture the officer in charge of the arty. AAC will need to watch out for assaults coming from electro however there is multiple AA units stationed there so dont get too close. 

MISSION3.png

Infantry Task Force:

Task 1: Knock out all arty you find

Task 2: Eliminate any chadaki ammo storage 

Task 3:  Capture the arty officer

USMC AAC:

Task 1: Support platoon as requested

Task 2: Protect chenogorsk from any chadaki assaults from electro

Task 3: Avoid AA stationed at electro

Not much to say that wasn't covered last night tbh.

Playing as Hammer was a welcome change and hopefully this will be a recurring thing now that the AAC have had an influx of manpower. No real problems between air and ground units so I was a very happy bunny by the end of it all.

Raven got rounds down, Banshee got rounds down, even the door gunner managed to get rounds down. I even managed to fire both my rifle AND my UGL so really have no complaints at all from the execution side of things.

On the editing it was evident from the get go that we were to be faced with a typical "wall of death" style air defence. Coming under fire while taking off is never good, especially when it was from multiple SAM sites. While I understand that we were meant to be in considerable danger from Elektro, this was not very well thought through. Please remember for future ops that SAMs have a substantial range and you should be careful with them to make sure the AAC doesn't end up grounded due to air defence coverage. If I were to remake this mission I would replace the Tunguska systems with IGLAs and/or Strelas. They would provide the threat without the range.

Plus side to the editing was the counter attacks that were dynamic for once rather than just piling onto our position. Being outflanked, taking fire from behind and ultimately becoming cut off from our HLS was awesome even if it did make Pilgrim dead. Personal highlight was the CASEVAC/REINSERT/RESUP phase at the first bunker complex. Raven raining rockets and door guns into the treeline while on approach, rifle fire going everywhere, smokes flying in all directions, all good shit.

GG All, here's hoping for more Hammer fun in the future

20180505220157_1.jpg

20180505220654_1.jpg

20180505220703_1.jpg

PS. I missed the chance of a glorious screen shot showing all three callsigns in one frame. Hoping I can snip it from the movie footage I took.

Pilgrim, Raptor and Filth like this

Generally enjoyed the mission, despite incredible frustration with my own tier 4s. One hot LZ, and two completely unsighted headshots. So at least they didn’t outgun me nose to nose I suppose. But this led to much head shaking and swearing back at base. Even if I’d kept my head down (and my zero kills, first ever, suggests I did) they were vicious instadeaths.

Charlie performed well, and we had limited tier 4’s through luck and generally good alertness.

I liked the more dynamic contacts. Maybe one or two static positions would have changed the pace a bit and mixed it up, but generally it felt fresh.

In regards to the banter being too vicious or otherwise. And I’m writing all of the next bit with a smile, and it should be taken as such.

My general take on this sort of thing is that no one comes out of it shining.

Being offended is something that you let happen. But not everyone is capable of brushing it off. Especially when they are young. Offence seems to have a lot more currency than when I was young. And I’m aware that cultural norms change. But as I believe @Luke pointed out, it’s part of life and you have to steel yourself for a lot worse.

HOWEVER. The call of “Well that’s who I am” by someone being obnoxious is equally pointless. I hate the song “My way” by Frank Sinatra. It’s usually a favourite of totally obnoxious cab drivers in their 60’s who have odious opinions and dodgy social skills, and who think that somehow by saying “that’s just who I am” gives them a pass and reason for not having to change socially and remaining a bit of a knob.

“And yes. I was a twat. But you know what? I did it myyyyyyy way”

Oh..good for you babycakes. Wahey! 

I don’t care if people change or not, but it never seems to me in their best interest to keep pushing buttons that don’t need to be pushed. It’s nuclear daft.

But I’m equally not bothered if they stop or not. It’s just an observation. 

Back to game. I’m still getting used to trying to listen to many things at once, and there were quite a few occasion when I was being talked at and missed comms. Please when in my team, and whilst I’m still learning the ropes, can you reduce the distraction chat by 50%.  

SqL orders were good. General comms seemed effective. Formations were kept. AAC rocked.

GG

PARKER, Filth and Jason like this

It's all subjective to what you feel is sensitive. Nothing is sensitive for me, that's why I say "it's my way". As I explained, never intended for him to be offended by it, as is it. It's just banter. I say what I want, when I want, that's just who I am, but now that I know he takes offense, things are simple. I just won't do it around him.

It's simple, you want something stopped, you want to say something. Do it, I'll respect people who tell me that they don't wanna hear the banter. if I don't hear it, I'll do it until your ears bleed. I respect honesty, everyone as individuals needs to learn how to speak up, if you can't do that you'll be stuck in the same shitty loop in whatever life you've got.

It's impossible, fucking impossible to know when I can push things for fun and when I cannot when nobody says a word about it, that's what this is for. Discussion,  one on one, feedback.. learning who is sensitive who is not. Just a sidenote, I don't like pushovers, why? Because I'm not like that, I have a different instinct to follow, but that doesn't mean I'll judge a person based on that instinct. To not manage confrontation, in my opinion, is weak, but I respect and understand that all people have different personality traits, some can handle conflict naturally, some can't. That's just life, which I have learned so much about the past 3 months!

@Wartomsniper So apologize for any offence, none of the things I say is personal. I'm an outwards facing person, I make myself heard and I'll joke about anything and everything because there's no boundries with me.

Editing: Simple, works. Wanted more counter-attacks, perhaps some sentries around the objectives themselves? In the treelines or around the tents etc. Would have liked to see some Heavy-weapons or possibly parked vehicles in Pusta to reinforce the town a bit, making it more difficult.

Execution: Slow, deliberate, just how an unknown forest mission should be. Pilgrim did good, he died too much, think he may have done this out of spite. Had enough of the banter, took a bullet to the face and delayed his own return ;) @Skeliton Managed the banter, first time playing with me and found out quickly that I just mess around with people, even at the age of 16, he tells me I can go fuck myself for using him as a human shield. Love it! I want more Skeliton action!

PARKER, Pilgrim and Filth like this

Morning

Editing

Apart from the requirement to restart the op and the frames being a tad low last night all seemed to work well. Terrain and objective selection where both good and made it an enjoyable op to move through. I thought there could have been a bit more "Nice touch's" added for immersion and also the AI appeared very skilled. I, like Pilgrim, experienced some extremely accurate long distance shots on a couple of occasions but I'm fine with that, i should keep my noggin out of site more.

Many thanks to @Lt.Chris for the campaign so far...

Execution

Execution wise I thought 1-1 was a different beast last night, Filth as always played his part of 1-A very well, comms overall where frequent and detailed and from what I could see adapted &  planned out on a live battlefield, the use of AAC as an FAC seems to be a great choice as @Filth mentioned he reaped the benefits and therefore so did we. We had plenty of time to practice our squad formations in last nights session and on multiple occasions was 1-1 able to press and flank enemy positions with minimal disruption to the flow of the game. This sort of thing makes a massive difference to the overall flow of the op and makes it more enjoyable in my opinion.

Alpha @NeKoArroW@Joe Malley (2ic) @Ironhide @Evilcommand did well, we did run into a few issues that i take responsibility for, namely 2 partial and 1 full team wipe at OBJ 1 & 2, the first was crossing the open ground with Bravo, Charlie in overwatch, Alpha had only just moved out when they came under fire uphill on our flank and I was ordered to continue contrary to my senses saying run and hide we continued, we lost 3 guys in that move. The 2nd was again a flanking team putting down accurate HE rounds direct on our position (probably could have avoided some casualties if we had kept our spacing discipline and the 3rd was a full wipe getting stuck behind cover but in the crossfire of two flanking enemy teams, again very accurate HE rounds.

Individual performance was a mixed bag. @NeKoArroW showed his experience and helped out @Ironhide with the formations, technical issues and overall guidance, many thanks! Ironhide himself was doing a great job and listening to what I was asking and doing it if possible, great, however you were still very difficult to hear so please take a look at your mic set up and try to improve it if possible as it'll make everything a lot easier for us all. @Joe Malley (top scoring AR from last night i believe :) ) did a good job, i placed him as 2ic as he showed interest in leading on Thursday so any feedback from 1-A would be appreciated from my perspective he did really well, just keep your one ear unblocked for actuals orders and make sure to call in contacts and casualties asap. @Evilcommand once he got into it did ok, as AG he was attentive and kept us in peak condition however as AR's eyes not that great, nothing major just remember that your the medic and a spotter/ammo carrier for your AR, also keep formation and put your binos away when we're travelling, other than that chatter was definately reduced and that is very much appreciated @Evilcommand.

AAC was flying high last night with 5 attending (a first since ive been here) which is great to see, whatever they were doing seemed to be done well, I didn't see any T72's so they must of been on the ball :)

8/10

GG and such a great turn out

NeKoArroW, Filth and Jason like this

Have to say I’m not a fan of showing the kills. Especially with the new guys tending to see it as the be all and end all of the mission experience. Maybe that’s something we can discuss in NCO meeting?

ThecMaster, NeKoArroW and Filth like this

Is that even possible? I mean there's way to see score but if we just didn't share the scores and didn't share that secret way then we'd be good right?

Pilgrim likes this

Yeh, just don't make it a thing. And maybe remove the chart on the site?

I'm talking above my pay grade. :wacko:;) 

I think Pils is just sick of seeing Pilots at the top of the scoreboard :P 

Joking aside I can see his point about people focusing on kills rather than the mission but that's a personal discipline thing. Scoreboard or not people will still find something to boast/brag about causing rivalry. They just need to be able to focus properly when needed rather than risking their buddy/team/squad for personal glory.

That said if it's that much of an issue I really don't care whether we have it or not which I think would be the case for most veterans.

Pilgrim likes this

It works both ways, we had that in 1-1, but I boasted about the kills as a squad not individually. Took some effort to restrain people like @Goralight and @Pirate. Who always got all the kills! Still managed to do just fine in terms of tactics and following orders, good times. But that was back when Pilgrim used to shoot me for fun, things change :ph34r:

Pilgrim likes this

Yeh agreed. I think it may just be a lowering of age admission thing.... It does say "mature" in the clan description

And maturity and age are often unconnected.

Ask my ex wife. She always said I was immature but it was actually her.

Tell me if you think this is mature.

She would walk in to the bathroom when I was taking a bath, and sink my boats.

Fucking child.....

Filth, Jason and Oksman like this

I dont think theres anything wrong with a bit of team v team competition like when we had 1-1 and 1-2 and dont believe anyone was focussing on kills while in the actual op but i also see @Pilgrims point so won’t post the scoreboard in the opords any more.

ThecMaster, Filth, Oksman and 1 other like this

A welcome surprise.

Editing:

I did not expect this mission to be as engaging as it ended up being. There was a distinct concept about it that was followed consistently throughout the mission. The strengths of the map were utilised to the fullest. Its weaknesses avoided as much as possible.

For me as a SqL it was something resembling a relaxing mission. But that was down to editing and execution both. Considering how many casualties we took, I guess it was a very challenging mission in spite of how relatively easy my own job was.

Overall: Decently made.

Few complaints though. First the HVT. We have no means of safely recovering somebody from a moving vehicle. For that reason, the mission to recover the Artillery Officer was pointless. Our only safe bet was kill instead of capture, and people made that call. That's fair enough in my opinion.

The OPORD was a bit lacking. No assets for AAC, our means of insert, etc. And it's Chedaki btw. Chernarus. Chernogorsk. Details like that are worth putting some more effort into, considering the OPORD pops up on our front page. Doesn't look good.

Execution:

With the added assistance and support from a grown AAC, this mission was easy from my perspective. It all becomes so much more streamlined and focused when there is only one level of stuff to think about as a Sql. I have high hopes for this. With more pilots we can do more fancy stuff, bigger, more complex missions.

Liked all my teams @PARKER @SoKkada @Pilgrim - good comms, good formation work and good reaction to contact. Top notch.

I saw an individual lack of discipline at some points, most of which I believe was based on loss of leadership. Nonetheless, even teams that lost their FTL remained firmly in the action, even managing to keep cohesion in moving squad formations.

The one thing that didn't work was keeping ourselves from getting killed. Almost every contact we took caused T4s. Often TLs. Not sure what the reason for that was, so if anybody can go into it that'd be great.

If you have anything else that didn't work, please let me know.

Had a lot of fun overall, only minor faults with this. Well worth the time. 8/10

PARKER, Oksman, ThecMaster and 2 others like this

Oh absolutely nothing wrong with inter team competition. This could equally be measured by lessening tier 4’s, and supporting the other teams.

And I agree the veterans don’t tend to see success as number of kills. The COD generation do however. ;)

ThecMaster, Jason and Filth like this

5 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

And I agree the veterans don’t tend to see success as number of kills.

Clearly based on our kills in the last op Pilg we suck when that obviously isnt the case....:(

Pilgrim likes this

On the subject of people competing for kills. I think certain individuals will always be trying to big themselves up. So we should instead of trying to just stop it entirely, change the focus to something else. Such as the teams with least T4s. Because even if you remove scoreboards they'll still try and keep count. It just seems pointless

PARKER and Luke like this

Personally, I'm strongly against counting kills. Always have been.

As a squad leader and NCO it's no measure of success to me how many enemies we take down. I'm only interested in accomplishing objectives. From an operational point of view, you can only accomplish objectives when you stay alive.

Competition is in essence a fairly healthy, defining thing. Do yourself a favour and focus on how many times you die, 0 being the optimal number. Keeping your head down, avoiding injuries and death is as much a skill that needs to be trained and practiced as shooting or tossing frag grenades.

So if we're counting something on the main page, imo it should be deaths instead of kills.

Jason, PARKER, Pilgrim and 1 other like this

Only show AAC kills. Solves the infantry problem and AAC will look like the big undercarriage players that we are.

player.gif

Editing: Resupply boxes need to be moved away from other objects (especially flag poles). At the moment we have to park the heli within about a metre of the box otherwise the ACE loading option doesn’t show up. It would be nice to increase this range by a few metres (not sure if that’s something that can be configured) but for now putting the boxes in open ground with no other obstacles nearby should solve the problem.

Also, we need more AAC slots in the template. We’re not done recruiting. :-D

Pilgrim, Filth, Raptor and 2 others like this

2 hours ago, Chroma said:

On the subject of people competing for kills. I think certain individuals will always be trying to big themselves up. So we should instead of trying to just stop it entirely, change the focus to something else. Such as the teams with least T4s. Because even if you remove scoreboards they'll still try and keep count. It just seems pointless

Then let them keep count.

The point is missed I think mate. What is trying o be achieved is refocusing people who see kills as the be all and end all, into the gameplay of GOL.

If you are playing the “GOL way” and still get a shed load of kills, fair play. I’ve had my share of top kills. But it was incidental to the style of gameplay. Which is to always be “For the greater good”.

aaanyway.

It’s not a biggie. Just a thought.

Luke and Filth like this