Jason

Monthly DCS Session 29/6/18

Attendance   5 members have voted

1. 1. Attending?

2. 2. Preferred Module

• Su-25T Free to Play
    • Flaming Cliffs 3 (please specify aircraft choice)
    • A-10C
    • AV-8B
    • Mi-8MTv2
    • UH-1H
    • Other (please specify)
  3. 3. Preferred Session Type

• Training
    • Exercise
    • Combat

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 posts in this topic

Operation Salisbury FRAGO

SITUATION

10 years have past since the Russo-Georgian war ripped through the Caucasus region. 10 years since the ceasefire was signed that Russia has never bothered to adhere to. Russian garrisons still occupy large portions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia despite both regions being Georgian territory and the ceasefire calling for their withdrawl.

A recent upsurge in political tension with Russia prompted the successful NATO combined arms exercise "Oily Bear" with Georgian and US forces proving they can operate effectively together. In light of the Sergey Skripal assassination attempt in Britain, President Trump has ordered the 24th MEU and a contingent from the USAF including the 74th Fighter Squadron to remain in the country for "training" purposes.

Since the Skripal indicent, JSOC has been operating behind enemy lines in Abkhazia and Ossetia identifying Russian and Abkhazian bases, logistics hubs and convoy routes. If the time comes to launch a strike, the US have all the intelligence they need to hit the rebellious insurgents hard.

The world waits with baited breath as this latest drama continues to worsen and brings the world closer to war.

MISSION SPECIFICS

At 1800 a border OP in Dzhvari spotted a mechanised convoy crossing the Abkhazian border in the direction of the Enguri Dam. This is obviously a ploy by the Russians to see how far they can push us before we push back. The answer to that is simple, they can't.

Under the political premise of protecting the major hydroelectrical station in the dam, A-10s from the 74th will destroy the convoy.

The USS John C Stennis CAG is on stand by to provide support if requested as is a flight of Su-25T SEAD fighters from the GAF. If the situation dictates, these aircraft can be called from the communications menu.

Flight Taskings:

Phantom = USAF A-10C Strike

Phantom will locate the convoy either visually or with assistance from the JTAC at Dzhvari and eliminate it.

Banshee = USAF F-15C CAP

We expect some sort of reaction from the Russians about all of this. Banshee will intercept any air response.

Revenant = GAF Su-25T Reserve

Georgian Su-25Ts are available in reserve to support Phantom.

Communications:

251.000MHz UHF = Combined Air Net/AWACS

140.000MHz AM = JTAC "Hammer"

132.000MHz AM = Senaki-Kolkhi ATC

Individual Flight Comms TBC on the ramp

======================================================================

Anyone interested please provide the information in the poll so I can make the mission.

As before if anyone is interested but doesn't know where to start, feel free to grab Hoofed, Raptor or Myself and we'll talk you through it. There is a tonne of resources on getting started right here in the clan:

My DCS content which includes tutorial/training maps:

Hoofed's guide to getting into DCS for free:

Give it a try, you might like it. You can fly the Su-25T completely free of charge and it is a very capable ground attack craft that is loads of fun to fly.

hoofed likes this

Bugger, can you also let me know if you want to play on the open beta or not.

Pros:

• New features not yet released (the list is pretty big but includes improvements to the AV-8B module and the F/A-18C)

Cons:

• Big ass download to switch between branches
  • May not be stable

Bump

So far then the mission will be full combat using the open beta build on steam. If I can figure out the last bits there will be a surprise for those that are interested. More to follow at a later date (ooh isn't it all cryptic. doesn't it make you want to DL this FREE game and come along)

hoofed likes this

Bumping.

Don't feel put off by the above poll, I'm sure I can talk Raptor and Hoofed into a training session if we have guys coming along that want to play but need help learning.

Remember the Su-25T is completely free and is just as capable as the A-10C when used properly. Hoofed and myself know enough about it to get you airborne and fighting.

For combat ops there will also be Combined Arms slots so those that are so inclined can take control of the ground forces as a sort of RTS or even take control of a single unit and play as our JTAC/FAC complete with working laser guidance.

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye so anyone with an interest in flight sims should seriously consider giving this a try!

Raptor and hoofed like this

DCS modules are on sale. @Luke @unionjak @Lt.Chris @Blu. @PARKER

Flaming Cliffs 3 is a pack of six simplified jets (A-10A, F-15C, MiG-29, Su-25, Su-27/J-11A, Su-33). This is a great way of getting into DCS as the included aircraft cover ground attack, air superiority and carrier ops. £20.28.

The F-15C, like the Su-33 in the above trailer, can be bought separately for £5.60 and is a good place to start if you’re on a tight budget or you’re not interested in the other aircraft and want to do some serious dogfighting from the American perspective: https://store.steampowered.com/app/250300/F15C_for_DCS_World/

Jason and Luke like this

The FC3 aircraft are all available separately for £5.60 so if dogfighting isn't your thing you can also grab the A-10A. Don't waste your money on the Su-25 as the T variant is better and is already free to play.

If you want something Russian on a budget, go for one of the flankers. They are essentially the same plane but the Su-33 is carrier capable while the Su-27 isn't. Furthermore they can both dogfight and attack ground targets albeit with limited weapon selection.

If I didn't already own them, I'd be grabbing the F-15 and the Su-33.

To put this into perspective, the F-15 and Su-27 are the CAP planes we use in our missions. They can fight close, they have fully functional radar for fighting at a distance. The F-15 can track and engage targets without broadcasting it's position and the Flankers carry the R-27T class of missile which doesn't even give a lock warning. Both are very capable and very easy to start flying since FC3 features a lot of shortcuts to get you flying faster.

As Hoofed says though:

5 hours ago, hoofed said:

This is a great way of getting into DCS as the included aircraft cover ground attack, air superiority and carrier ops.

hoofed likes this

Needing to wait for my new video card to be available before I can join as I'm getting about 5-15 fps when flying.

boo.

Have you tried tweaking visual settings like pre-load radius? You might be able to squeeze more performance out that way at least. I only recently replaced my old HD7750 and that still used to get around 20 FPS with medium settings if I turned pre-load down a bit and lowered ground object detail.

Reminder that DCS modules have gone up in price over the years. Never down like most games. Always a good idea to buy on a sale as early as possible even if you don't plan to use them straight away.

Highly recommended modules:

• Flaming Cliffs 3 - Easy to learn and lots of variety. Get new planes/variants for free (e.g. J-11/Su-33).
  • Mirage 2000C - Good multirole. Can do Air to Air and Air to Ground. Wild paint schemes. Smells of freshly baked pastry and chocolate.
  • A-10C - The King of Air to Ground. Lots of systems to learn and manage, but is less of a pure flying experience.
  • F-5E Tiger II - Not quite as capable as the Mirage but can do both Air to Air and Air to Ground. Easier to learn for a newbie.
  • MiG-21Bis - Comparable in capabilities to the F-5E but is hard to learn and carries with it ultimate bragging rights when you shoot down the fancy western planes.
Jason likes this

Further to this I highly recommend the UH-1H for the rotor heads out there.

Simple to operate but difficult to completely master. The UH-1 will teach you loads about flying especially when it comes to things like weight calculations and engine limitations.

hoofed likes this

lol no, you just need to take it easy and manage your engine correctly (stop putting people off you hip flying traitor :P )

hoofed likes this

You'll need to sign up for the open beta @Luke 

We'll juggle some slots around to make sure you get a wingman also

8 hours ago, Jason said:

You'll need to sign up for the open beta @Luke 

We'll juggle some slots around

Ok ill go do that will i need to download the game again ? and I can use an A-10 also so u dont have to juggle if easier :)