Jason

Monthly DCS Session 29/6/18

Attendance   5 members have voted

1. 1. Attending?

2. 2. Preferred Module

• Su-25T Free to Play
    • Flaming Cliffs 3 (please specify aircraft choice)
    • A-10C
    • AV-8B
    • Mi-8MTv2
    • UH-1H
    • Other (please specify)
  3. 3. Preferred Session Type

• Training
    • Exercise
    • Combat

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 posts in this topic

Steam will update the game once you switch to the open beta branch but it’s not a complete re-download. Just an update.

You can fly the A-10A from your FC3 pack if you like. It differs from the A-10C in many ways so unless someone else is familiar with the A model they won't be able to help you much. I’ll have a go with it this evening.

Luke likes this

Yeah the A-10A and A-10C are worlds apart.

It's not a problem juggling anything, the flights are already in the mission it's simply a case of asking for a volunteer to buddy up with you since we all fly F-15 anyway. If Hoofed and Raptor want to get their hog on then I'll fly with you so you aren't on your own against the Russian Airforce.

To begin with in DCS try to focus on one aircraft until you are comfortable in it, this applies to FC3 also. Jumping around different aircraft all the time won't help you learn. If you prefer the F-15 then focus on that, I'll make the missions to suite.

Luke likes this

Am i right (silly question alert) in thinking that (via network gaming) that steam servers are separate from the standalone version of dcs ?

Ps Glad to see the blackshark has come right down in price.......

hoofed likes this

26 minutes ago, hoofed said:

Steam will update the game once you switch to the open beta branch but it’s not a complete re-download. Just an update.

Oh right makes it easier then thanks for letting me know downloading now, whats in the new up dates ?

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah the A-10A and A-10C are worlds apart.

It's not a problem juggling anything

Oh right i didnt realize there where two haha right yeah ill just try the f15c for now then:P.

@unionjak

Actually I don't think that they are, the difference lies in the game version you're running. Usually the steam version is maybe 1 update behind the standalone so you end up unable to play together

AFAIK, with the post-Hornet open beta both versions of the game have been kept in sync.

The following modules can be bought on Steam *and* redeemed on Standalone for free but not the other way around. This is because they pre-date the Mirage 2000C release, which marked a change to Steam-only licenses rather than Starforce keys.

• A-10A Warthog
  • A-10C Warthog
  • Bf 109 Kurfürst
  • Combine Arms
  • F-15C Eagle
  • F-5E Tiger II
  • F-86F Sabre
  • Flaming Cliffs 3
  • Fw-90 Dora
  • Hawk T.1A (Avoid this module. Go for the L-39 Albatros instead.)
  • Ka-50 Black Shark
  • L-39 Albatros
  • Mi-8MTv2
  • MiG-15Bis Fagot
  • MiG-21Bis Fishbed
  • P-51D Mustang
  • SA342 Gazelle
  • Su-25 Frogfoot
  • Su-27 Flanker
  • UH-1H Huey

Where as these modules (from the Mirage 2000C release onward) are locked to which ever platform you buy them on:

• AV-8B Harrier
  • AJS37 Viggen
  • F/A-18C Hornet
  • Mirage 2000C
  • Nevada Map
  • Normandy Map
  • Persian Gulf Map
  • Spitfire Mk IX
  • Su-33 Flanker D
  • WWII Assets Pack

You can make sure that a module can be bought on Steam and redeemed on Standalone by looking for this message about Starforce DRM on the right column of the product page. Also, modules that cannot be bought on Steam and redeemed on Standalone carry a warning in the description (with the exception of the Su-33 for some reason):

bandicam 2018-06-26 08-21-11-169.png

bandicam 2018-06-26 08-29-03-994.png

Jason likes this

FRAGO (OPORD) added to OP.

It is not too late for anyone else wanting to attend to come along, I can easily tweak the mission to suite

hoofed likes this

Alternately if you open your existing SRS client it will link you automatically to the last stable update which is the one above. Simply unzip the contents of the download into your current install location.

On the subject of downloading zip files, lets see some GOL A-10s featuring since I'll be videoing and trying to make a movie from the server track file :D

Not sure TBH. Better to get it anyway to avoid potential and future problems

Wary of changing aircraft skins in multiplayer. Last time I became invisible using a stock livery.

They'll work for everyone that has the skin installed.

They work like any other mod tbh, just like our ARMA mod pack. Everyone has to have them installed in order to make it work. You will appear on the server as a GOL plane and to me as a GOL plane but to anyone without the pack you'll appear as a plain A-10. If the skin was missing from the server you would get the missing skin texture you had before.

At least that's what I understand from reading up on them. That's how full time DCS squadrons have their own skin packs, they distribute them in much the same way as we distribute our clan ARMA mods.

Maybe we should arrange a DCS specific forum section heheh

Yeah. I know how it should work. But when it doesn’t it kinda shakes your confidence in messing with them in multiplayer.

----------

And for anyone eyeing up a DCS module on sale you’ve got a week left to man up. According to ED this will be the last sale until Christmas.

Also, new BlackShark trailer, @unionjak

Jason likes this

Lessons learned for the future then:

• We need to work on our BVR tactics. All Banshee losses were in the BVR envelope. Once inside WVR we performed quite admirably.
  • A single Tunguska was enough to hold Phantom off all night. I'll change that for future missions if they are that difficult or will deploy a dedicated SEAD flight for every mission.
  • MiG-29s are touted as dogfighters but are pretty damn nifty at BVR also. The Fulcrums gave us much more trouble than the Flankers which was a hell of a surprise.

Any points for future ops guys?

Banshee 1 before the shit hit the fan:

20180626072700_1.jpg

Banshee In formation(ish):

20180629193605_1.jpg

Didn't see a hog all night so can't tell if the skins worked or not. Can someone let me know?

Luke likes this

I missed this last night but captured it through OBS. Skins work fine :D

skinOnShow.png

That's all I captured though, movie quality was utter crap. I don't think I'm going to be able to video these sessions while hosting the game and the SRS server, too much for my little AMD I reckon :(

Will see what I can make from the replay track

Turns out I didn't save it lol

hoofed likes this

I got my arse well and truly handed to me yesterday. Most of it came down to not having flown under pressure or with a wing man. With that being said, maybe we should focus on air-to-air missions for a while. Two groups of two F-15s or Su-27s/Su-33s is doable, as our current lineup all have FC3. I think we’d learn more as most of this stuff comes from experience and after action analysis rather than technical knowledge. And if we get to the stage where we think we have nothing to learn flying together we can turn it into some low intensity PvP with some AI augmentation, with half of us flying as aggressors (Red Flag style).

Jason likes this

Sounds cool. I'll make the next session to suite if everyone is happy with that

hoofed likes this