Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luke

Operation Overlord

Attendance    8 members have voted

1. 1. Attendance / Sorry forgot to add it.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

MAP: WW2: Merderet River v3

Mission Date: 30/06/18

OPORD: Operation Overlord / Battle of Carentan

Terrain: Rural Countryside, Villages, Normandy, River

Weather: Clear

Forecast: No Change        

Start DTG: 06/06/1944 1000hrs

Starting Location: West of Chef-du-Pont

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: SITUATION

The allies have taken the beachheads of Normandy and now the next phase is to push in land and take the next major town Carentan, it has heavy axis forces garrisoned in the town they are attempting to hold the city long enough to allow reinforcements en route from the south to arrive, we need to first prevent or delay the merging of the reinforcements then take the town.

2: MISSION DETAIL

As the 101st air born we are located at an FOB far west from the intended target we will mount up in a halftrack and make our way down to the next FOB

From there we will go on foot to the town and attempt to take the town and capture / destroy any AA guns in the area, we will also need to clear the road of debris to allow for reinforcements to pass easily over the bridge.

Each building will need to be cleared to make sure we capture the town.

A. ENEMY FORCES

Strength:

The town is defended by two battalions of troops with reinforcements en route.

Composition:

We will be dealing with static MG emplacements throughout the town meaning more fortified positions.

Air Defense:

For Air defences we are looking at two flak cannons with in the town and then another two located at separate ammo dumps east of the town.

B. FRIENDLY FORCES

3.EXECUTION

A. Objective Overview

Mission Intent:

Our mission

Ground Forces Task:

1. Make your way down to the FOB.

2. Dismount and make your way to the town.

3. Clear the first half of the town west of the bridge destroy any AA or ammo dumps.

4. Clear a path for allied reinforcements across the bridge, aka mines, blockades. 

5. Clear the East part of town.

6. Hold the town form the expected counter attack

Air Corps Task:

The Air core tasks are as follows:

Ideally infantry will want to destroy the AA in the town before they can get support but while that is happening AAC can go around and scout east of the town for the other two flak cannons, intel markers are not accurate for ammo dumps.

Recover any flight recorders or downed pilots.

Destroy reinforcements convoy from the south.

Possible Mortar team (3 Man crew / Provide cover for the units )

2/3 Man tank team when needed.

C. Coordinating Instructions

Radio Frequencies

Platoon Net: 50.1

Air Corps Net: 50.3

Overall view of the area

c1.jpg

AAC Objectives.

c2.jpg

Off map airbase for AAC

Untitled.jpg

Pilgrim and Jason like this

Editor notes:

Over all the mission went well heard @Chroma / bravo team, had good cooperation from all team members, so that was good to hear, There was a small hicup with the not having the right ammo but this was due to me wanting you to have m1 grands but also to play as the airborn i must have forgotten to change the ammo, but this was solved by giving people carbines instead or m1 grand ammo once i found it lol.

I hope the objects on the bridge and the blockades before helped and changed the game play to not have to rush over it, i liked the use of the AT cannon we requisitioned but we was cutting it close on time so the counter attack was not as heavy as i could have made it.

Im glad the AAC liked the missions assigned to them. Also hope you liked the airport i made for you with the runway bearings on the ends matching the rough direction of the runway.

Did the tasks on the map screen help the NCO's keep track on the basic idea of what to do?.

Note:

I said that next week was the last, we do have one more mission, but depends on if we want another mission.

Pilgrim, Chroma and Filth like this

A very mixed bag.

Editing:

First off I think it's worth mentioning that, when difficulties become apparent during dedi testing, they must be adressed and fixed right away. Ideally, before Saturday 19:00. Granted, the initial problem wasn't caused by you @Luke but since you already knew about it, something could have been done about it before mission time. We lost a good half hour to finding out what was wrong. Further small problems caused grief throughout. Mismatching ammo took fire teams out of the fight for long periods of time. Enemy weapons were looted and equipped in ridiculous combinations. Objectives not working as intended. All of this - thoroughly and entirely avoidable.

Which was a shame because the mission itself was a very good idea and it was obvious a lot of time and effort was put into it. A clear, limited concept with great tactical and organisational freedom.

However, it was plagued by the usual issues of the WW2 setting: Insufficient radios (coop with air assets almost impossible), sniping bolt action AI, average framerate of 18, cumbersome machine guns. In this mission more than in the last one I played, the setting in my mind seemed to heavily interfere with what the mission maker attempted to create and kept on breaking my immersion and enjoyment of the game.

I'd have loved to play a scenario like this in a modern setting. As it was, the one thing I appreciate most about the setting is the maps.

Bottom line, it's apparent Luke poured sweat and blood into this mission which is a fact that deserves commendation, even though I believe the setting ruins much of it.

Execution:

Here again, the setting interfered quite heavily, more heavily than in the first mission of the campaign, but I'll get to that later.

About a month's worth of trainings and training missions have gone into practicing motorised/mechanised operations. Yet, using the half track in the beginning was an organisational desaster. Similarly, our first movements in the town itself caused mass casualties and didn't accomplish much. Anvil @Raptor and @hoofed tell us that the infantry was swarming around their vehicle so as to inhibit their movements and firing arcs.

It took a good half hour to accomplish cohesion within the teams and the squad as a whole. This is when the whole thing became somewhat enjoyable, with house to house infantry fighting and a tank to take care of. As we progressed, my personal highlight came up: the bridge. A very interesting terrain feature we had some difficulty overcoming.

Throughout, teams weren't responsive to my commands. Alpha had to be told four times to get off the MSR and watch their sector. From what I saw there was a lot of fucking about and very little focus on the important matters. On many occasions, team leaders, especially @Pilgrim weren't given the attention they deserved and needed to do their jobs.

@Chroma in the face of 4 NCOs on leave of absence took over the Bravo team. A job well done, no complaints here.

Fighting for the eastern parts of town was much more chaotic and difficult, partly I believe because of Anvil's absence. At least at this point the teams were working better together, and they had to. Within somewhat of a timely fashion, the squad had cleared the town. Because of the insufficiency of radio communications, I gave the two Phantoms a carte blanche. This blunted the majority of counter attacks to a point where 1-1 was able to manage them easily. Further support was provided by @Blu. and @Byleth who improvised with some heavy weapons to lock down the MSR. I had anticipated becoming surrounded and having to pull back to the western side of the river, but this did not happen.

And thus: Success. Doesn't feel like that to me though. We may have accomplished all our objectives. But as a squad leader I measure success by the effectiveness and cohesion of the teams, and most importantly by the number of casualties we take. Both left a lot to be desired.

I feel bad giving this a 5/10 because it was in essence a good mission with high production value, but the setting, technical issues and sub par execution ruined much of it for me personally.

Pilgrim and Luke like this

From my point of view Bravo team started off really well and up to after we crossed the bridge everyone in bravo doing a good job. The only times we had trouble in the first half was when going round corners to come face to face with AAA, heavy tanks and a couple of technical issues which @Luke promptly sorted out so it wasnt a major issue. @Skeliton @Joe Malley @Evilcommand Were very patient with me and gave good callouts/positions for me to relay back to SL and 90% of the time kept good sectors. Thanks to you guys for making it a little easier for me as you know its pretty rare for me to take a team lead position.

We had good communication and understanding with Alpha of where they where/what they were doing throughout. @Pilgrim and I gave each other support multiple times in the second half of the mission and during the bridge crossing, not so much in the first half though however as we were pretty much separated on each side of the MSR clearing buildings independently.

Top moment for me was when my rifleman @Skelitonsaid he could hear intermittent "beeps" and we all thought he was mad until he crossed a tripwire wiping out 3 team members and THEN decided to get his mine detector up. Lol. Other than that i agree with @Filth the bridge crossing was a lot of fun but i was plauged with crazy rubber-banding which meant i had to rely on my buddy teams to do all of the shooting.

These missions are really hard to pull off but @Luke did a good job of it. Its just a shame that these mods do cause performance problems that cant be avoided like this.

Pilgrim, Filth and Luke like this

So.

All points regarding the mission making have been addressed. One other to add were the disappearing hedgehog defence. I realise that Mr. Zeus took it in hand, but that was a great idea. Even if the script didn’t work. Infantry clearing defences under fire is always fun. 

The bridge was a definite highlight. Bridge taking is always fun as you have to battle your way to one end, only to be confronted with a new frontline, and come up with a crossing plan. 

The old doctrine is that the best way to take a bridge is both ends at once. A sardonic reflection on how difficult it is.

Anyway. By far my favourite part. And the one time my team acted together to achieve the objective. Despite the sectors not being taken first time when asked. 

When I give an order, I don’t want to see people turning round to look at me when I’m giving it. Keep your sector, and carry it out. 

Well played New @guyjacklin , and @falseprophet for keeping it relatively together for me.

@Devastator had the misfortune to have a wayward team member so I forgive any indecision on his part. The constant disruption makes situations confusing and slapdash and ruins any opportunity for immersion.

Keep it positive Pilgrim.

Well played @Chroma. We did indeed support each other well. 

Loved working closely (but not too closely) with tank.

GG @Luke for a passionately built, if buggy mission

Luke, Jason, Filth and 1 other like this

One general point to add.

In all the missions we’ve played in this campaign, it’s reminded me so much of all the games I’ve played in the past. From Close Combat: Bridge Too Far and Combat Mission: Overlord,  to Brothers in Arms, spanning FPS to RTS to Turn based classics.

Its really felt like you’ve been pushing Arma to breaking point. And that’s down to the mission makers determintion to build in a total and familiar experience.

Thank you guys.

Jason, Luke and PARKER like this

On 1-7-2018 at 5:09 PM, Chroma said:

From my point of view Bravo team started off really well and up to after we crossed the bridge everyone in bravo doing a good job. The only times we had trouble in the first half was when going round corners to come face to face with AAA, heavy tanks and a couple of technical issues which @Luke promptly sorted out so it wasnt a major issue. @Skeliton @Joe Malley @Evilcommand Were very patient with me and gave good callouts/positions for me to relay back to SL and 90% of the time kept good sectors. Thanks to you guys for making it a little easier for me as you know its pretty rare for me to take a team lead position.

We had good communication and understanding with Alpha of where they where/what they were doing throughout. @Pilgrim and I gave each other support multiple times in the second half of the mission and during the bridge crossing, not so much in the first half though however as we were pretty much separated on each side of the MSR clearing buildings independently.

Top moment for me was when my rifleman @Skelitonsaid he could hear intermittent "beeps" and we all thought he was mad until he crossed a tripwire wiping out 3 team members and THEN decided to get his mine detector up. Lol. Other than that i agree with @Filth the bridge crossing was a lot of fun but i was plauged with crazy rubber-banding which meant i had to rely on my buddy teams to do all of the shooting.

These missions are really hard to pull off but @Luke did a good job of it. Its just a shame that these mods do cause performance problems that cant be avoided like this.

thats sad to see cause i really enjoyed you as a TL cause i dont get the feeling i wasnt wanted there and some one finly lisent to things i said and targets i call out

Chroma likes this

Yeah heard you did a good job in that mission, and i saw it to, so thanks for that appreciate it:)

13 hours ago, Evilcommand said:

thats sad to see cause i really enjoyed you as a TL cause i dont get the feeling i wasnt wanted there and some one finly lisent to things i said and targets i call out

Do you in any way take any responsibility or see any failings in anything that may have contributed to this feeling or is it all somebody else’s fault?

Personally, as a TL I praise when members do well, steer them when they’re doing things outside what we expect, and never treat members any differently than I would expect to be treated. 

After a while, and after repeated attempts to reign in negative behaviour, it starts to wear people down. 

I absolutely LOVE teaching and passing on information. As much as I love learning. Seeing people take on board what is being said to them and gaining from it gives me great joy. 

I’m nailed on positive @Chromawill make a great TL one day. The current TL’s are fairly new and are still learning the ropes. Which is why patience and discipline is so important amongst the privates. And why petulant and disruptive behaviour helps no one.

When you look around and see everyone standing listening, what is that feeling that stirs inside you to want to step out of that and, say, throw a smoke   grenade, rage quit or otherwise fuck about? Is that rebellion is it? A message to the world? A final stand against conformity? 

Because form where I’m standing it’s just really saddening.

Filth likes this

On 7/2/2018 at 10:47 AM, Pilgrim said:

I recorded the mission. Frame rate is a bit off.

lmfao....brilliant

Pilgrim likes this

On 6-7-2018 at 8:12 AM, Pilgrim said:

Do you in any way take any responsibility or see any failings in anything that may have contributed to this feeling or is it all somebody else’s fault?

Personally, as a TL I praise when members do well, steer them when they’re doing things outside what we expect, and never treat members any differently than I would expect to be treated. 

After a while, and after repeated attempts to reign in negative behaviour, it starts to wear people down. 

I absolutely LOVE teaching and passing on information. As much as I love learning. Seeing people take on board what is being said to them and gaining from it gives me great joy. 

I’m nailed on positive @Chromawill make a great TL one day. The current TL’s are fairly new and are still learning the ropes. Which is why patience and discipline is so important amongst the privates. And why petulant and disruptive behaviour helps no one.

When you look around and see everyone standing listening, what is that feeling that stirs inside you to want to step out of that and, say, throw a smoke   grenade, rage quit or otherwise fuck about? Is that rebellion is it? A message to the world? A final stand against conformity? 

Because form where I’m standing it’s just really saddening.

oh not its not all others faults i mean i hae been verry energetic (i try not to) adn seem so lose my team verry often and quickly (working on it) but whate i think is that people already dont like me so there like a sorta negatice attitide towards me from start dont know if this is actualy true but i get that feel sometimes and if my mic not working or to loud or to annoying people just need to tell me i try to improve but missions seem to be going so inregulair some say i did excelent and next its going horrible when to me notting was diffrent so i kinda lost

and i totaly get i messed up ad the begining to loud to energetic but to be honest thats should not be the issue anymore and if you want me to do anything just tell me 

cause to be honest i am pretty lost  also i would rreally like people telling me when we are moving cause when i am covering a sector iam not looking ad my team cause i should look for enemys in that sector adleast thats my understanding of it plz tell me if i am wrong cause i wanne improve 

adn i want to learn 

R4IDER likes this