Filth

Training OPORD 05/07/18

Training Day 05/07/18 19:00 BST   9 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend?

• Yes.
    • No. LOA posted.
    • Maybe. NCO notified.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Training Subjects

Basics

• Revision: Squad Structure - Organisation and Hierarchy

Mechanised Focus

• Deploying & picking up infantry
  • Reaction to contact
  • Live fire practice, experimentation
  • Emphasis on Fire Team/Vehicle leader initiative

Preparatory Reading (Optional)

Mission-type Tactics  - Wiki Link

Mission Info

The Third Patrol

Situation

The AAF campaign to recapture a failed island state is now in full swing. Having broken through the enemy's first line of defence, the AAF is faced with an increasingly complex situation.

Mission

Any advance along the MSR will expose friendly forces to the North. Because of this, our platoon has been tasked with going on a night patrol on the right flank ahead of 5th Armoured Regiment's advance on Paros in the morning.

Overview.PNG

Main Mission Objectives

Secure Northern Flank so that friendly forces can advance on Paros

Threaten Northern Flank of Paros

Secondary Mission Objectives

Assault militia base, capture commander alias Knife

Investigate home of a bomb maker alias Shark

Enemy Forces

According to AAF intelligence services, the militia cell at Paros is receiving support from CSAT. The Paros Cell have been able to replace all their previous losses in men and equipment. Our AO is defended by a mechanised/motorised force at company strength. Performance of hostile forces has also seen an increase thanks to CSAT advisors.

Note: AAC is invited to further the exchange of mechanised tactics.

@Raptor @hoofed @Blu. @Byleth

Edited by Filth
hoofed, Chroma, PARKER and 1 other like this

I’m being dense. Where’s our starting point? What are the numbers to the north west?

Oh hang on. We’re coming from the north, and skirting round right to Arios Petros. Got it. And threaten north Paros on the way.....correct?

Filth likes this

53 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I’m being dense. Where’s our starting point? What are the numbers to the north west?

Oh hang on. We’re coming from the north, and skirting round right to Arios Petros. Got it. And threaten north Paros on the way.....correct?

It'll all be cleared up in my briefing, but you pretty much figured it out.

Pilgrim likes this

Let’s hope we can get two pilots up in the air.

Some CAP  “threatening” and patrol cover would be nice.

Any news on numbers @hoofed baby?

Good operation, quite stressful in giant when I landed in the town but apart from that mission was great.

Thanks Filth!

Also a nice sunrise from the merlin...

20180705213144_1.jpg

Filth, Chroma, Pilgrim and 1 other like this

LOTS OF FUN 

RCT's dit well  only ddead 2 times this time :D so it went well for my 

8 / 10

Pilgrim and Filth like this

Training was solid. Messy. But solid. From it’s future repetition, great things will eventually emerge. And very useful combined with the mission style afterwards.

Mission

Everything was said last night really. 

I will try and approach morale after heavy casualties differently. I think a mental regrouping is required when performance dips. That is where we really fell down. 

Up to that point Alpha performed admirably. 

Would again like to welcome the new guys @Liquid and @Jazz

Oustanding approach to the way we do things, and made the NCO’s job so much easier. Positive attitude. Played for the team and not themselves. Keep it up guys. 

Oh and thanks to @Wazowski for showing @Liquid the ropes in training.

Filth and PARKER like this

Morning Morning and Morning...

Training

Agree training was solid, included good explanation of training objectives, practical and live fire but kept as a squad based training session. As mentioned mechanized is some of the most complex and dangerous stuff we do in terms of potential casualties and organization especially when large numbers of players are present. Example....rolled up to 1st live fire zone, bravo tasked with North sector jump out half the team go the wrong way, 2 immediate tier 4's (inc me) and a whole lot of confusion..but that's why we're training it, good stuff from all.

The resource links provided are very useful and made it a lot easier to get a handle on the theory when read prior to the training session and Filths / @Oksman guide is written from experience and an ARMA survival point of view which is great, very valuable information.

Very enjoyable, can see the effort that went in, thanks @Filth

Mission

A very well set up and edited op from what I could see, perfect to practice what we had just been taught. Only point I would make was the opord lacked a few markers on the picture that would maybe of helped players get a better idea prior to the op.

I enjoyed playing AG for @SoKkadaagain, though for Bravo it was a quiet night from an AG persepctive, T4 or nothing apparently? Not sure if that was people not shouting out injuries or just that there were no injuries. From Bravo's perspective I was with @guyjacklin @falseprophet @R4IDER who did a top job, did everything required, listened, stuck in position / sectors like glue asked if they were stuck. Not sure about that R4ider bloke though....needs a 2nd interview in my opinion :P

The op itself I found very enjoyable, mechanized, well positioned enemies, roaming patrol, enemy vehicles, mines, tasks to complete, CAS and CASEVAC's, excellent example of what we want more of and reminded me of why I love playing with you lot and why I joined in the first place....a mix of lol's, holy shits and yeah babies!

Missed my Ctab, orientation screwed

Op highlights - Bravo getting caught out in the open in cross-fire, and fighting our way out without any major injuries...amazing job Bravo..........and.........listening to @Chroma's yells for help after getting accidentally locked in the MHQ.... possibly the funniest thing I've had the pleasure of witnessing this year.

Rating 9.9/10

@guyjacklin could do with improving your mic somehow, a little difficult to hear what you were saying at times.

Chroma, Filth and Pilgrim like this

Difficult session to give feedback on. A lot to say really, many perspectives.

What I'd be particularly interested in is the perspective of our newer members. @falseprophet @Liquid @Jazz @guyjacklin

Nobody expects you to write a novel, like I usually do. Leave us a quick message in the OPORD. What did you like, what was shit? How can we improve missions, leadership and teamwork? Just a few lines of feedback go a long way.

Training

Attendance was through the roof. Because of it, I couldn't conduct the training as I had planned. I was thinking a vehicle, two understrength teams. Easy. Suddenly, a full platoon shows up. In the middle of the week. In the middle of summer. This is unprecedented in the history of the group when I was part of it. As a result, the training was far more chaotic than I would have liked and I was unable to get some of my points across.

Nonetheless, useful I would agree with @PARKER and @Pilgrim. Both for you lot and myself. In hindsight, I think my emphasis on initiative along the lines of Mission Type Tactics was misplaced. We're not at that stage yet. As a result, mechanised gameplay will have to be slower than it potentially could be. Our operations need to be segmented in neat little pre-planned steps. This is usually the way in which we are most successful as a mechanised force. I took this realisation into the mission as best I could.

Stuff to work on: Cohesion - finding a sweet spot with our dispersion as a fighting force. Use of cover - particularly with the vehicle. Communication. Using cTabs.

Had fun, learned a lot. 8/10

PS: Zeus is broken as fuck.

Mission

Same thing really. I had anticipated a much lower attendance. We were able to field a squad at full strength supported by two pilots (cheers @hoofed and @Blu.)

Organising this great number of elements effectively was a source of frustration for me personally, particularly during the initial 20 minutes. Sensory overload. The result was slow progress and confusion.

The major flaw of our operations was deployment and positioning. We were often stretched very far with hundreds of meters of dispersion between fire teams. When I tried to concentrate our forces more, I was unable to get the message through in the beginning. Not sure what the reason for that was. A lack of cohesion and a tendency of both infantry and vehicle to set up out of position dictated the outcome of many engagements throughout. This is not what I have in mind when I use the term initiative, but may be a good sign that the TLs are taking more responsibility for their actions in the field.

Another flaw was, as Pilgrim pointed out during the debrief, our over-eagerness in some situations. Take for example, rushing the last objective. Avoidable casualties.

All that said, the performance of the entire force was good all things considered. We were particularly effective in long range engagements, carried mostly by @Joe Malley's Pig. Great numbers of enemy vehicles and heavy weapons could be taken out before they became a relevant threat. The infantry @Pilgrim @SoKkada made a noteworthy contribution to scouting and awareness, which prevented enemy forces from outmanoeuvering us. What there was in the way of close range fighting resulted in decisive victories for our side. Combined with eyes in the sky and some devastating CAS, I would say we operated successfully as a combined arms force.

We were unable to use our mobility effectively and maintain close cohesion. When cooperating with air assets an FAC is an absolute requirement for a mechanised SqL. However, there was plenty of cooperation between all elements. This is good progress for the implementation of the mechanised concept as a whole.

Mission objectives were largely accomplished. With their right flank clear, AAF forces managed to occupy Paros by midday.

Useful lessons for the future. 8/10

PARKER likes this

9 hours ago, PARKER said:

Op highlights - Bravo getting caught out in the open in cross-fire, and fighting our way out without any major injuries...amazing job Bravo..........and.........listening to @Chroma's yells for help after getting accidentally locked in the MHQ.... possibly the funniest thing I've had the pleasure of witnessing this year.

Im glad you enjoyed my performance there :D I felt like i was in a fishbowl with all of bravo crowding round and taking pictures, mocking me. Id give me a 1star UBER rating.

PARKER likes this

Just thought Id say the whole night was good fun and thankyou! 

I found the training helpful, and with a little guidance I managed to get the hang of things. It was good getting some practice with formations and communications In a less chaotic scenario.

During the mission I was guided @PARKER (Don't worry Ill get my mic sorted ASAP) who really got me through the operation. @SoKkada did a good job of leading me through  my first training mission :)

PARKER and Filth like this

Yeah not  sure how Critic im am allowed to be after just a few Hours. Im gonna say that Much: Im not really used to having constant Radiochatter in my ears. Made it hard for me to concentrate on Wazowskis or Squadleads Orders. I aso did really miss the earplugs... And im really Sorry about that FF in the last bit, Lack of Situational Awarness and  the small field of view made me  have a bad snaptime desicion. Cheers to the Dudes how took the Time to make this OP. Had a blast off  a Time, Literally...

PARKER and Filth like this

3 hours ago, Liquid said:

constant Radiochatter in my ears

You can turn down the radio, so that you can focus better on what your buddies and TL are saying. As a grunt, it's not crucial for you to follow everything upper echelon leadership are discussing.

I aso did really miss the earplugs

Earplugs are provided by default in our template. If the effects are still too loud, I recommend turning down your effects in sound options to roughly 2-3%.

Sorry about that FF in the last bit, Lack of Situational Awarness

Blue on blue incidents happen with people who have been with us for years. Happens to the best of us. So you are forgiven, and your openness in speaking about it deserves commendation.

Thanks for your feedback.

Pilgrim likes this

I always enjoy these mechanized missions and especially commanding the vehicles that we are using, this is maybe the 5th or 6th mechanized mission I have been a vehicle commander for and it was just as fun as the previous times. I felt the training went pretty smoothly and did help to improve the cohesion between the vehicle and infantry. Overall, the mission was good fun, shout out to @Wazowski and @Liquid for being the fellow crew members in Pig. We had a few difficulties when first starting out due to the darkness of the mission, but once it got brighter we really started to get some good kills. Wazowski was an excellent driver as always, and liquid did an excellent job as the gunner especially as it was his first session with us. If you had put me in a vehicle on my first mission I wouldn't have done half as good as he did, the only issue was that liquid's ST HUD mod didn't properly work so he didn't have the compass at the bottom of the screen which made calling directions a bit awkward. But other than that Pig functioned well and I am extremely impressed with both crew members and hope to do even more mechanized missions soon.

Pilgrim likes this