Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chroma

Gaming gear

12 posts in this topic

Just wondered if people have any recommendations on gaming headsets? preferably without mics attached and are very comfortable no noise bleed etc.

Currently using apple earbuds after my razer hammerheads broke lol

Never saw the point with the seperate mic. Some of my friends use seperate mics for recording, but none of them appreciate it for gaming.

Myself I've been using the Sennheiser Game One for some time. Worth every penny. Very comfortable, even with glasses, fantastic sound, excellent durability and production value.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-506080-Acoustic-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00JQDOALC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538153610&sr=8-2&keywords=game+one+sennheiser

If you're still going with seperate mic and headphones, you can't go wrong with Sennheiser or Bose.

Chroma likes this

Headsets without a mic are called headphones. Don’t buy gaming brands if you want good audio quality. They’re trash. Never spend more than £40 on those brands.

If you want decent audio quality but don’t have £300-400 to spend then go with something safe like a pair of closed-back Sennheisers. A good pair will cost a little over a hundred and you won’t need to buy an external USB DAC/amp.

Post your budget and I'll see what I can find.

1 hour ago, Chroma said:

Just wondered if people have any recommendations on gaming headsets? preferably without mics attached and are very comfortable no noise bleed etc.

Currently using apple earbuds after my razer hammerheads broke lol

I have the DT 990 PRO from beyerdynamics plugged in to an to a Computer Audio Interface, those are the type you'll be looking for, good quality.

7 hours ago, hoofed said:

Headsets without a mic are called headphones. Don’t buy gaming brands if you want good audio quality. They’re trash. Never spend more than £40 on those brands.

If you want decent audio quality but don’t have £300-400 to spend then go with something safe like a pair of closed-back Sennheisers. A good pair will cost a little over a hundred and you won’t need to buy an external USB DAC/amp.

Post your budget and I'll see what I can find.

But do regular headphones come with the in depth surround sound that you need for fps gaming? Obviously they have surround sound but is it not different for mid range headsets? I thought for example the set @Filth mentioned would have more individual speakers inside each cup for better directional sound. I know for the same price you could get headphones with better sound quality  which is probably what ill end up going with anyway. Just wondered if there is a noticeable difference between lets say £100 headsets & headphones on that front.

Surround sound, as far as headphones/headsets go, is a marketting lie. You’re clamping speakers to your 2.0 ears. Human hearing is poor when it comes to dirrection. Extremely poor. Surround only matters if your position in an environmemt is not known (i.e. a large room with lots of people, spread out, where creating an experience is important: home cinema, theatre etc.).

I’ll post more tomorrow when I’m on my PC.

I use a seperate mic (yeti) and I personally have an older steelseries headset which also has a built in mic and while the old design are a tad large they are super comfortable. The mic retracts into the headset so no pissing about unplugging / plugging it in when needed i just disable it in w10 until i want it. My headset also comes with a built in DAC and the option of a digital or analogue connection (i prefer the old school analogue tbh).

The newer steelseries models (arctis) have the same options but are a bit more refined nowadays. The software is good, regular game updates and lots of good config options inc RGB which is nice (but only works when using the USB connection) would recommend for sure.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-5

Chroma likes this

@Chroma Sorry for taking so long to get back to this:

Take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT 770s. You want the 32 ohm models (linked) if you’re just going to plug it into your PC/phone. But if you’re going to pair them up with a good external DAC/amp then pick the highest ohm model that amp can drive for the best audio fidelity (up to 250 ohms). https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008POFOHM/

As with all headphones they’ll last a long time if you treat them carefully. Models with detachable phone/TRS connectors are vulnerable to damage on the port to the point where you’ll get popping/interference/one channel not working or the cable dropping out easily. The Beyerdynamics have an integrated cable so should be a little more hardy but I’ve seen complete drongos wreck them too by throwing them around or stuffing them into a bag. I couldn’t find any good inexpensive headphones with mini-XLR connectors but they tend to be the toughest detachable cable models as they have a locking mechanism.

I used to rock the Beyerdynamics DT250’s until for some reason i sold them....and they were quality..

Ha, I have that amp. It died on me recently. But I got thousands of hours of use out of it and it took a lot of punishment.

It’s a little underpowered for those Beyerdynamics as they’re 250 ohms and the amp maxes out at 150.

Luke likes this

Yeah i put the wrong link up i was looking at a couple changed it now though it says its output power is 150mW/250Ohm

@PARKER I really do like the design of the steelseries. If i were to go for anything else it would probably be those ones