R4IDER

GOLSYNC Testers Required

10 posts in this topic

I have been working on a alternative to Arma3Sync. As you can see from the screenshot below GOLSYNC includes a lot of the functionality that Arma3Sync adds with the bonus that its tailored for us and doesn't require any configuration other than setting the the directory that your game is installed to and where you would like the mods to be downloaded to.

GOLSYNC allow you to keep your mods updated without the need for Java or the installation of any other applications such as Arma3Sync, it is portable and does not require installation.

My plan is to build in the option to download the mods using multiple protocols such as HTTP and FTP but for now I have been working on a new way of delivering mods which is using a Windows Share.

What this will do is map a network drive to your computer temporarily and then compare your mods directory to the contents of the mods on the mapped drive. You will see in the screenshot below that you can select which drive this is mapped to.

Once the scan is complete you will be given a list of the mods which need to be downloaded, I have deleted some of my mod directories to produce the example below. Once this is done you can download the available updates.

At present the Windows share is in Frankfurt but what I can do is set up multiple shares around Europe and using a ping test to each I can work out which server you would be best for you to connect to giving you the fastest possible download speeds.

I am still working on some issues which I am hoping to have ironed out for Monday or Tuesday after it would be good to get some testers who would be willing to delete some of their mod directories and run some tests and report back any issues experienced.

For the test version I think I will be including a console so you can basically see everything that the program is doing in the background which will make reporting errors easier but the final version will not have this so please let me know if you're willing to be a tester and I will PM you with a download link, thanks.

golsync.png

hoofed, Luke, PARKER and 1 other like this

While personally, I've never had any issues with A3S, I think many people have. So thanks for putting effort into this.

Would like to take a look at this, too. @R4IDER

Cheers!

hoofed likes this

I be happy to take a look. @R4IDER Did you code in C# with visual studio?, you could stick in a loading bar at the bottom if you where that way inclined.

On 03/11/2018 at 0:53 PM, Luke said:

I be happy to take a look. @R4IDER Did you code in C# with visual studio?, you could stick in a loading bar at the bottom if you where that way inclined.

Its actually built using powershell and there is a progress bar which appears when checking for updates.

I will send out download links as planned on Monday or Tuesday.

Luke likes this

On 11/4/2018 at 3:35 PM, R4IDER said:

Its actually built using powershell and there is a progress bar which appears when checking for updates.

I will send out download links as planned on Monday or Tuesday.

Oh yeah fair enough nice job, also just had a little idea could it be possible for you to add the content in to a tab box, So e.g. One tab would be the "Official Mods" and have another tab that says "Client Mods" (or somthing like that) so people can add in client mods like JSRS ?  

I could look at something in C# but I have no idea on internet protocol code. Can easily make the GUI though if we wanted to produce our own program. I'm already making an android app to assist our FACs and Pilots with their 6 liners.

Link sent out to testers, please post any feedback / problems here.